Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire for training?

Eric1231

I am kind of confused on the direction I should go I need some input/ advice. I am currently competing in a local clubs 3 gun matches in the rimfire division with my AR-15 with a cmmg conversion and my Buckmark. At some point I am going to get a glock 34 and transition to the big guns for some longer range competitions. Here is my dilemma I have been doing Ben Stoegers dry fire training and have seen a big improvement with my pistol skills using the buckmark. If I switch guns will the majority of skills transition to a glock or will I regress quite a bit. The other thing I have been considering is getting a glock and getting an advantage arms 22 conversion that way I can enjoy the cost savings on ammo and still have the same handgun feel. What are your thoughts

I am kind of confused on the direction I should go I need some input/ advice. I am currently competing in a local clubs 3 gun matches in the rimfire division with my AR-15 with a cmmg conversion and my Buckmark. At some point I am going to get a glock 34 and transition to the big guns for some longer range competitions. Here is my dilemma I have been doing Ben Stoegers dry fire training and have seen a big improvement with my pistol skills using the buckmark. If I switch guns will the majority of skills transition to a glock or will I regress quite a bit. The other thing I have been considering is getting a glock and getting an advantage arms 22 conversion that way I can enjoy the cost savings on ammo and still have the same handgun feel. What are your thoughts

Ben shot a lot of Rimfire to train - I believe he used a 22 upper on the Beretta, however most of the plain shooting skills should transfer from the Buck - less so on reloads, etc... If you want to go that route get the AA upper.

I will say that reloading 9mm these days is going to come close to the cost of 22 ammo if you're cost efficient (coated 115s, etc) and also provide savings on match ammo and let you train on your main platform - something else to consider.

My coated 9mm reloads come out to 0.09 per round.

Some people have reliability issues with .22 pistols unless they use premium/high velocity stuff. I have this with my m&p22. The last cci mini mags I found were $29 after tax for 300 rounds. That is 0.097 per round.

I have to agree with both peter and b1g above - you used to be able to save some

dollars with a .22, but not much anymore. :sick:

And, the .22 has no recoil - different trigger, different sights, different grip, etc.

And, .22's are not so reliable.

I bought a Buckmark with an optical sight, and tried it a few times - gave up and

sold it - just not very similar to my "real gun".

I practice with my 9mm. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

My rimfire is a SV dedicated lower with a TS upper. Small trigger and reload techniques.

It likes 1200 fps or better. I also have access to a .22 4 inch plate rack. Totally non-forgiving. Great for watching your sights instead of steel.

Also, having a .22 plus two full size steel targets really helps in nailing down movement. Most better shooters will tell you they are working on movement to improve their game.

Back before I was reloading I did a lot of 22 training with my G34 conversion upper for USPSA Production. The one thing you'll need to be careful of is your visual patience since without recoil you are able to go a lot faster with 22. Expect to have to increase your visual patience to retain appropriate accuracy once you move to 9mm ....

I have shot a Glock 17L and also used an AA 22lr conversion and I felt that it translated over reasonably well. It was OK for target transition and acquisition but not good for reloads or learning recoil control. I felt that it did increase my speed. However, when using a 1911 conversion it felt completely different to me and there were more malfunctions than with the Glock conversion so I sold it.

I agree with the other guys that you might as well shoot reloaded 9mm at today's ammo prices. I had considered getting a Tactical Solutions 22lr conversion for my STI but with magazines it approached $700 and I decided that I would be better off using that money to reload 40 and 38 super. So if you plan to only use Glock, it is OK for gaining speed and for transition drills but just not as good for reloads. For 1911, not as helpful for me.