Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Edge Case Ejection Problems

dossauce

I'll start off with this:
1. Yes I did alot of searching, I can't find anyone else that has the same problem.

2. I am still fairly new to 2011's (2 mo) so I have alot to learn, but excited to do so.

its is a STI Edge in .40 It has an aftec extractor with 1 spring in it (front spring removed)

This has happened twice now, both at major matches (go figure).

What happens is the fired case is extracted from the chamber, rather then it kicking out from the ejector it rides upwards in the breech face, the next round in the magazine pushes on the brass casing that failed to eject, gun tries to feed next round into chamber, slide tries to close but spent case prevents slide from chambering next round.

Here are my thoughts:

Next round in magazine is pushing the spent case upwards in the breech face before it reaches the ejector, therefore the ejector doesn't hit the case. Could be extractor is too loose?

Or, ejector isn't making good contact with case resulting in case being pushed upwards rather then out (doubtful)

The first time it happened I had no clue what to do, the RO was nice enough to suggest hitting the case with the bottom of a magazine. This was after I tried to push, pull, and karate chop with my hand to no avail for 30 sec. The spent case gets locked up pretty good in the breech face above the height of the ejector. This is all with the magazine removed from the gun.

I can provide pictures to simulate if this isn't clear.

Thank you all in advance, I'm still learning. I hope someone can help me understand why this is happening so I can fix it. I hate it when I gun doesn't run!

It's only happened twice out of probably 700 rnds through the gun.

Thanks everyone. I was wondering about extractor tension. How much should there be?

I will check the fp block and see if the extractor slides/ rotates.

I need to order some springs for the extractor I guess!

I checked the fit of the extractor, it seems good.

I went ahead and moved the rear spring to the front of the Aftec to see if I can get better tension that way. It seems about the same but sliding a round under it hold it in well both ways. I have to shake it to get it to come out.