Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for a new extractor?

DirtyD1833

I magnified the second pic and it looks like the rim of the fired case has been damaged. It also looks as if there is evidence of extractor contact with the the case bevel. Can you confirm this or post another pic of just these areas on the fired case?

A good quality, correctly fit extractor in a well manufactured pistol should last forever (think in terms of 50,000+ rounds or more). If the nose of the extractor is impacting the case bevel or if the claw is regularly snapping over the case rim during feeding then the extractor was either not correctly fit or the pistol is experiencing inertia feeds most probably caused by weak magazine springs. Either of these conditions will wear out an extractor in short order.

As was pointed out, a gunked up extractor tunnel could be an issue so do the simple task of cleaning the tunnel to see if that cures the problem. If not, things get more interesting.

Edited by Steve in Allentown PA

I magnified the second pic and it looks like the rim of the fired case has been damaged. It also looks as if there is evidence of extractor contact with the the case bevel. Can you confirm this or post another pic of just these areas on the fired case?

I agree. It looks like the extractor is hitting the back of the round, and then riding over the edge, instead of the rim riding under the extractor. Could be the extractor tension is too tight, and not allowing the rims of the cartridges to slide under it.

And the mark on the bevel of the rim is is an indication the extractor tip is hitting it. Either the extractor is too far foward, or your loaded rounds are a little too long for the chamber, and protruding just a fraction too far from the back of the chamber mouth.

Check the clearance of the extractor from the breech face, and check the oal of your loaded rounds.