Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Classification Rules

hceuterpe

For the Beretta 92, (FS variants), I know it's possible to modify the pistol from safety/decocker to decocker only. However, it requires irreversible modifications to the slide (I think you have to remove material from the slide around the safety levers). Does anyone know whether or not that bumps you out of the USPSA production classification?

Trying to consider options for a 92 decocker only: whether going with a WC custom brigadier, or modifying my existing 92A1. The WC model is already on the USPSA production list.

Oh, and no "Just get a Glock/M&P" replies, please :)

Two comments found so far:

Forum response: "From reading the beretta forums, you have to do have the slide milled to convert a 92fs to a 92g.

Hopefully OP will post what type of beretta he has."
Description for WC conversion part--Wilson Combat Beretta® 92/96 Custom Carry Lever De-Cocker for G Conversion: "NOTE: Major Gunsmithing and Slide Modification Required"

From what I gather. Is it possible to convert? Yes But is it also easy to do? Not in the least...

Wow, the WC Brigadier custom is even IDPA stock approved. That option is looking better and better.

Maybe I'll just keep the A1 around as the beat up (and backup) gun and just fork over for another with the WC. It's always feels nice to buy a new firearm :)

Here we go, Allegheny gun works offers the following gunsmithing service:

Convert "FS" Safety to "G" Type Decock $185 Only

So the question remains, will that bump the 92 out of stock with that mod?

Edit: Sorry nick, I read your reply wrong, I thought you meant illegal law wise, not rule wise :wacko: . Are you referring to this USPSA rule clause: "Removing or disabling firing pin blocks or any other factory safety mechanism in Production division is specifically prohibited"

Edited by hceuterpe

That's part of it.......

The other part is that the modified gun would no longer be a 92FS -- as Beretta didn't make that model with a decocker to the best of my knowledge. (92G? was that the decocker version?) So you run into an issue with the approved gun list......

Then there's the whole requirement of "if it's not specifically on the list of allowed mods, you can't do it"

21.2b limits you to milling a slide for sights only -- so if anything on the slide needs to be milled for the conversion -- no longer legal for production.....

21.5 tells you that externally the gun needs to look the same -- so if anything changes its appearance -- that's a no go....

22.1 prohibits you from removing a safety. 92FS comes with a slide mounted safety; a decocker is not the same thing.

So, if I was working as RM for the match, and someone challenged your modified Beretta, I'd have move you to open division. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it.....

That's part of it.......

The other part is that the modified gun would no longer be a 92FS -- as Beretta didn't make that model with a decocker to the best of my knowledge. (92G? was that the decocker version?) So you run into an issue with the approved gun list......

Then there's the whole requirement of "if it's not specifically on the list of allowed mods, you can't do it"

21.2b limits you to milling a slide for sights only -- so if anything on the slide needs to be milled for the conversion -- no longer legal for production.....

21.5 tells you that externally the gun needs to look the same -- so if anything changes its appearance -- that's a no go....

22.1 prohibits you from removing a safety. 92FS comes with a slide mounted safety; a decocker is not the same thing.

So, if I was working as RM for the match, and someone challenged your modified Beretta, I'd have move you to open division. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it.....

I'm thinking it was the G that was decocker only. Wasn't there a limited run of them here lately or a police trade in one. I remember a thread on another forum about it.

In production, you're not required to use the safety. I can see a benefit to a decocker-only model for carry, but I just don't see the benefit for production. Decock the gun, turn off the safety and holster.