Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some Mag-na-port insight

hardluk1

A while back I had hand surgery on my trigger and middle finger . I lost a good deal of finger strength and trigger control . This question relates to my favored carry pistol , a kahr tp40 .

I have changed handguns to a wider , heavier , short reset trigger sig p320 and lighter recoiling hp ammo but have since changed back to the underwood ammo for carry but miss the lite ,thin tp40 kahr .

I loaded some real light loads to see if I could control the long trigger pull of the kahr and I think that will be fine but when I tried the carry ammo a couple mags fired still hurts my hand and grip control is lacking

So I am looking for real shooter insight into how the mag-na-port porting will change the snap of a lighter pistol and if its worth while or just stay with the replacement pistol .

Jerry Mikulek claims a 35% reduction in muzzle rise with magnaported barrels, does not make claim on recoil. I have personally never seen any significant effect with any of my ported barrels, but they are not magnaported (just ported) if there is any difference, I don't know.

Some opinions from people who don't speak for the company:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/206243-mag-na-port-recoil-reducing-porting.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487482

http://www.californiapredatorsclub.com/index.php?showtopic=14051

Edited by bountyhunter

I can not speak of mag-na-porting in your particular case / gun. However, I had a 44 maginum Ruger Redhawk done, that I hunt deer with. The difference, night and day. It made a good shooting gun an extremely accurate gun.

I can not give Mag-Na-Port enough praise :bow:

I felt like magnaporting made definite improvement in muzzle rize in my 4 inch 357 mag revolver.

Still my suggestion if you like the Kahr is to go to a 9 mm Kahr, I really like mine.

Eric

Edited by eric4069

I'm starting to hear more of what you said . Advertising does tend to stretch the truth at times so figured I would ask .

For the record, I grabbed one of the images from the video showing the "difference" in the case of a SW 357 revolver that is magnaported. First, notice he holds the "non port" gun higher to begin with to make it look like it flips more. I froze the image at the top then put in two parallel lines. The lower one goes through the center of the crane tube at the front of the cylinder and the other just touches the top of the front sight. If that's a 35% reduction in muzzle rise, I have a bridge I want to sell you. Maybe 10%, but such a small difference could be from grip or wrist pre load etc.

post-271-0-72579100-1437004658_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

i've only had experience with one pistol/one caliber using that system. While at the time i favored the aesthetics i must be honest, i wasn't all that impressed with its effect on recoil characteristics.

I was concerned that i might not be able to enjoy shooting for much longer or perhaps be relegated to the .22 caliber format.

I had the good fortune of meeting, consulting with and ultimately having Mr. Bruce Gray build me a compensated 9mm 1911. If i recall Mr. Gray mentioned that his design incorporated spring considerations to modify the perceived recoil and timing. Its not only a work of art but it fits like a glove, is incredibly accurate, fits like a glove and has been used reliably and extensively with nary a hiccup.

I would strongly advocate your giving him a call. It has allowed me to both enjoy as well as to participate in this sport.

Hope it works out for you.

I wonder (no actual experience) if the effectiveness of MagnaPorts

might be similar to that of a compensator on an OPEN pistol - it

depends on the powder used and the amount of gas generated.

High pressure rounds (.44 mag) might attain MORE effectiveness

than a low pressure round (.45 acp).

Even within a caliber, switching to a case full of slower powder

might generate more gas than a small dose of a faster powder.

Lighter bullets and heavier powder charges might make a difference??

If so, I'd try a very light 9mm bullet (95 grains?) over a .40, and pack

it full of HS6 powder - see if that's easier on your hand - might just

reduce the muzzle flip but increase the actual felt recoil - not sure.

Something to play with ... :cheers:

might be similar to that of a compensator on an OPEN pistol - it

depends on the powder used and the amount of gas generated.

High pressure rounds (.44 mag) might attain MORE effectiveness

than a low pressure round (.45 acp).

No doubt that higher pressure round would have more effect, question is how significant is the effect? Would be really easy to measure with a ransom rest type device which pivots and has a calibrated spring load so muzzle flip can be accurately measured. You would think companies who sell people this would offer that. If I buy an aftermarket exhaust system for my bike or car, I want to see dyno plots of it versus stock not a bunch of glowing anecdotal reviews about how much better it feels.....

might be similar to that of a compensator

There is a huge difference in how a compensator works and ports alone. Felt recoil is reduced by generating a forward going force along the muzzle axis which offsets part of the recoil force. Period, it's that simple. In a compensator, the gas driving the round goes into the expansion chamber inside the compensator and slams into the front wall causing a forward force. The bullet is passing out at that time which blocks most of the hole at the front so the gas is restricted there.

In ports, the only place that generates a forward going force is the leading edge of the port which the gas hits against as it is directed upwards. If you shoot a ported barrel, the dirt and garbage accumulates there. Point is, that effect is significantly less effective than the compensator.

The "jet gas" effect pushing down on the muzzle to reduce muzzle flip? There is some, but again is hardly anything in the 9mm or 40 barrels I tested. In super high pressure rounds maybe, still doubt it is much. Would be easy to test if they want to do it.

Gas pressure just isn't much compared to recoil pressure. Semis that fire blanks have to use gas restrictors with a small orifice to generate enough back pressure to cycle the action. Shoot some blanks out a revolver and compare the recoil to live ammo and see what "jet power" does.