Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Me or the Ammo?

jc91087

When shooting groups I will always have a nice tight group expect for one round that is always thrown way to the right. I can't figure out if it is me jerking the trigger or maybe the ammo. The reason I'm questioning if it's the ammo is because I'm shooting roughly 1" groups not including the flyer and I almost always seem to have one way outside of the main group.

So do you think it might be the ammo or am I just jerking the crap out of the trigger?

I am shooting a Glock 34 with KKM barrel.

Reloads are:

115 gr Hornady XTP

6.4 gr Power Pistol

OAL 1.120

Starline Brass

Winchester Primers

This is 5 shots at 25 yards prone

post-39665-0-92818300-1436831694_thumb.j

This is 5 shots at 50 yards prone

post-39665-0-91445800-1436831504_thumb.j

Edited by jc91087

I would venture to guess that it's you, if you've double-checked the ammo and everything is consistent. That said, shoot a 10-shot group and see what happens. It doesn't take much movement of the muzzle to have a big change at the target at 25 and 50 yards with a pistol.

Edited by polizei1

shoot a 10-shot group and see what happens.

+1. Matter of fact, shoot a 15 shot group and see what happens.

BTW, fire you first, hand racked, shot into the berm - don't fire

it at the target: It might be off a bit - at least that's the theory of

Massad Ayoob for many years. :cheers:

I've had the same on a lesser scale and was never sure if it was the first, last, or an intermediate round, as I can't see the hits when I shoot.

I've seen the "Massad theory" as well, as the first round chambers differently than the other four.

Well it's not a clean barrel so we can rule that one out.

I've never heard of Massad Akoob's first round theory. I'll have to look into it.

It very well could be me. I just don't understand why I can shoot groups like that but I always manage to throw one.

I'll try to shoot some groups this week and see what happens. Those XTPs aren't cheap though... lol

I find I am wondering why you do not know.

me and my pistol started off on the wrong foot.

I kept aiming and shooting and hitting to the right of my aim.

this is a classic.

I was told get lessons... maybe I should have.

I felt the lessons were not going to change the aim point of the pistol.

I knew the sight needed adjusting because I watched the sights stay on target

and watched the pistol lift in recoil. the shot was printed to the right of where the sights were aimed.

I get flyers all the time. I blame me when I am not watching the sights when the shot broke.

when you don't know, you have to accept the flyer was your action.

when you know where the pistol aimed when the shot broke...you will know it is the ammo.

and believe me I wish I were as good as that advice.

I'll try to shoot some groups this week and see what happens. Those XTPs aren't cheap though... lol

Just use anything for the first round and put it in the dirt. No need to waste an XTP.

I neglected to mention that that is some fine shooting right there! :cheers:

I never fire the first hand racked round at the target, never shoot a cold gun, never shoot a clean gun when shooting for groups. I do know where the first shot of a hand racked round will go but it sure screws up an otherwise good group. All of the auto pistols I own will put the first hand racked round out of the group.