Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone please explain...

Ok I got the new 650 press all put together..and am now loading my .40 with 4.2 of titegroup set off by WSP primers...the bullet is 200 gr. AOL is 1.15

Now someone explain to me why my brass will fit in a case gauge fine after it has cleared the first stage of the press but by the time it finishes the whole series of stages it wil no longer sit flush in the case gauge....hmmm anyone, anyone, Bueller...Bueller?????

(Edited by Tory Schmeiser at 4:54 pm on June 24, 2002)

Unless you trim all of your cases to the same length the crimp die will slightly crush the ones that are longer that the one you used to set the die up with.  Rest assured out of all the cases, you picked to set it up with, you chose the 'shortest' in the pile.

If you have a spot for a 4th die get a Lee factory crimp die and your trouble will disappear.  It re-sizes and crimps thus removing the slight 'crush'.

HTH,

Joe

Steve, I can. I am not a huge fan of resizing the case once a projectile is seated, I found that if your dies are good in the first place and used correctly, you should have no problems.

OBTW good quality cases of the same brand and batch will always help, plus lubing will reduce stress on the cases and they will shorten less. Use Hornady or Dillon lube only.

Tory,

Most case gauges are CASE Gauges not loaded round gauges. The projectile will sometimes go past the lip inside some case gauges and imping on the narrower section further up. The best loaded round gauge is the chamber of the handgun for which the ammo is made.

Check the set up of your Dillon crimp die it may not be taking enough off or you are putting to much on at station 2 and therefore flaring the case to much and the crimp die will not touch that section just behind the case mouth. I think.

I hope this helps.

Tory, 200 gr bullets generally load out kinda long in 40S&W, what you're probably experiencing is the Case Gauge is not relieved enough at the end of the "chamber" to fuly insert your loaded round. Especially if its lead. You might need to have your case gauge reemed out to accept your load to match the chamber of your gun (assuming your loaded rounds will fit in your actual barrel).  

This is pretty common in 40 cal limited guns, that have been built with barrels marked ".400" like most builders use.

EGW makes a case gauge that is already set up for up to @ 1.20 length bullets, you might give that a try.

If your problem is a bulged case, and not length, then disregard the above, and listen to gm iprod.

And you shouldn't ever have to trim pistol cases. If they are that far gone, throw them away, once fired .40 brass is dirt cheap      

(especially if you buy police Glock brass, and use the undersize Lee sizing die to fix 'em up, like EGW sells)

(Edited by shooter40 at 10:46 am on June 28, 2002)

Tory,  I'm very much a newbie to the reloading thing but we are doing roughly the same thing so,,,

First I'm using Redding dies with a lee factory crimper, with my 650.  I load to an o.a.l. of 1.185,  5.5 wsf,  wsp primers, 200gr. fmj.  

I have a dillon case guage.  I was told by a master friend to check my rounds in the guage upside down.  Its easy to feel if they seat to the bottom.  I case check every round.  I have 2 or 4 out of each 100 that don't fit nice and free.  This may not be the 'proper' method but I've found that if they fit freely this way I have no problems feeding at a match. ( which is the end objective right???)  This way wouldn't check the crimp or the bullet oversize,  but if you buy good quality bullets and set your crimp right it should be a non issue right???  ( at least you hope)

Well, works for me so far.  Just my .02    

Well guys thanks for all the ideas on my little "problem".

Spent some time picking the brain of my local "Yoda". (Dave Bridgman) We basically resolved my issue. now Im a loading fool. (of course now Im doing the whole recipe that I like thing.)

So far I seem rather happy with 220 bullets.  ok! ok! I like the soft shooting ones. Ok well I gotta go...

Gotta go shoot. :)

Tory

Thought you said you were loading 200 grainers.  I shot up all my 220 gr. cast ones recently.  What kind of 220 bullet are you using???, and where from???   I read somewhere that they actually made a 235 gr. .40.  Any leads on those???

Quote: from Tory Schmeiser on 12:09 pm on June 29, 2002

Spent some time picking the brain of my local "Yoda". (Dave Bridgman) We basically resolved my issue.

So what did you have to do to correct the problem?

Joe

Well... it basically cam down to two things...

A) turning the case gauge about and useing it by dropping th primers in first. ( as was mentioned by our fellow shooter 3 quarter)

And the second problem, which I didnt mention was a failure to feed problem...ended up being a lenght issue. (No comment needed from the peanut gallery)

Tory "Doc" Schmeiser