Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge shooter statistics

jakemaul

Hi folks,

I made a thing:

https://azshooters.org/scsa_shooter

It will graph your total match times, and show tables of all your matches, by division. It also shows a table of your best times, aggregate, and what classification you'd be in! This is something the steelchallenge.com site does not do- show separate classifications per-division. If you're substantially better in one division than another, you'll be able to see it clearly.

Let me know what you think!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty cool. For the classifications, is it using the proposed classifications for 2016? Just wondering because it shows what my rimfire open pistol classification would be.

The placings seem a bit off, but it is really since SCSA doesn't separate finishes/placing by division in each match after they are turned in. So even if you finished maybe say 25th in Limited at a match it might show you as 50th since that was your overall finish. Nothing that can be controlled by your site/app at this point.

The only change I might suggest is to somehow show the stage name with the stage number to make it a bit easier.

Other than that, awesome work!!!

Agree with Scott, AWESOME! With some tweaks it'll be even better. As Scott mentioned come Jan 2014 we should have a new classification system in place and by my calculations I'd be a B in RFPO (A46578) if you want to check my specific results.

Scott: It's not using the 2016 info. Use A46782 and you'll see he's steel D in all divisions. Under the 2016 rules he'd only use time for the stages he has shot to determine his classification.

jakemaul: here's a link for the minutes where the new classification system is discussed (http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20141209.pdf)

Agree with Scott, AWESOME! With some tweaks it'll be even better. As Scott mentioned come Jan 2014 we should have a new classification system in place and by my calculations I'd be a B in RFPO (A46578) if you want to check my specific results.

Scott: It's not using the 2016 info. Use A46782 and you'll see he's steel D in all divisions. Under the 2016 rules he'd only use time for the stages he has shot to determine his classification.

jakemaul: here's a link for the minutes where the new classification system is discussed (http://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20141209.pdf)

Awesome, thanks for the minutes. I'll see if I can work in something to show what your "new" classification would be.

I'm not sure understand the new system fully. It reads to me like your classification is your best total time on any match containing at least 4 stages (including the 2 currently excluded) divided by the "peak" time for that stage. Those peak times, I'm guessing, would be adjusted over time similar to how the "high hit factor" data in USPSA matches is.

Or is it more like "as soon as you have a score on 4 different stages, classification can happen", and is based on your best-ever times for each of the stages you have shot compared to the peak values?

Any idea if it's still "best score on record" like Steel Challenge currently is, or more like "most recent X stages" like USPSA?

Pretty cool. For the classifications, is it using the proposed classifications for 2016? Just wondering because it shows what my rimfire open pistol classification would be.

The placings seem a bit off, but it is really since SCSA doesn't separate finishes/placing by division in each match after they are turned in. So even if you finished maybe say 25th in Limited at a match it might show you as 50th since that was your overall finish. Nothing that can be controlled by your site/app at this point.

The only change I might suggest is to somehow show the stage name with the stage number to make it a bit easier.

Other than that, awesome work!!!

On the "Best Scores" table, if you hover over the stage names, you should get a tool-tip with the stage name. I can do that for the other tables too. :)

I thought about reversing it (showing the names and having the tooltip show the code), but it's just too wide already... lot of side-scrolling on mobile devices. I could possibly flip the table (columns for divisions, rows for stages) then there'd be enough room... hmm....

Awesome, thanks for the minutes. I'll see if I can work in something to show what your "new" classification would be.

I'm not sure understand the new system fully. It reads to me like your classification is your best total time on any match containing at least 4 stages (including the 2 currently excluded) divided by the "peak" time for that stage. Those peak times, I'm guessing, would be adjusted over time similar to how the "high hit factor" data in USPSA matches is.

Or is it more like "as soon as you have a score on 4 different stages, classification can happen", and is based on your best-ever times for each of the stages you have shot compared to the peak values?

Any idea if it's still "best score on record" like Steel Challenge currently is, or more like "most recent X stages" like USPSA?

If you can work in the new classification system hat would be great. We can stick with the current info on the Steel Challenge web site for now and use your page to see how things will be when the new system is implemented (FWIW, I seriously doubt we'll see it in Jan 2016 but I'm hopeful).

Your guess is as good as anyones regarding how they'll handle peak time adjustment but I don't think we'll see them change or if we do I wouldn't expect to see them change often.

In working up my own calculations I've been going with the best time on record. That mirrors our current system and that's what I would expect to see them do in the future. Using my son as an example (A46782) he's shot Smoke & Hope, Accelerator, and Roundabout in RFPO. The way I've been calculating his classification is to sum his 3 times (12.35+15.25+13.93) and then sum the peak times for those stages (7.5+9+8) and then doing calculating the classification using just those 3 stages.

Under our current system as soon as you shoot a match that has official stages you'll have a classification calculated.

jakemaul: great stuff! As Zack says for SC, every time you shoot a sanctioned match, whatever stages you shot count toward your classification ... it's a continual, rolling classification that takes your current, best time on an individual stage and makes that your stage classification time. As an example , when I got my open gun earlier this year my classification changed every time I shot since I was on a steep learning curve and every match was better then the previous one. If you need the details of how the new classification system is planned to work I can give you most of what is planned. there are still some things which they haven't worked out, like will a classification only include the 6 stages it does now but they've determined most things. PM me if you want the details ...

Using jakemaul's site I'm classified as a GM. Thanks to a glitch in the Steel Challenge site, I was given times of 0.00 for several stages at a match were I DQ'd myself.

Grandbagger :). Have you contacted them about correcting the scores? Perhaps jakemaul could work around that by requiring stage times to be > 0.00.

Using jakemaul's site I'm classified as a GM. Thanks to a glitch in the Steel Challenge site, I was given times of 0.00 for several stages at a match were I DQ'd myself.

Grandbagger :). Have you contacted them about correcting the scores? Perhaps jakemaul could work around that by requiring stage times to be > 0.00.

Haven't contacted them yet, but it looks like that is how they store a DQ, with zero for stage times and a DQ indicator.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Great catch! I hadn't added any sort of check against the DQ data. It's fixed. Sorry, but your data should be less spectacular now. :)

Thanks for the offer Nimitz, I've sent you a PM. :)

At the moment, I'm not sure how valuable it will be to proceed without a better understanding of the new system... I'd hate to give people false hope (or unduly take hope away!) by showing estimates that end up wildly inaccurate. The work I've done so far has a lot of assumptions in it, and they can wildly change the classification- In testing I saw at least one "Steel A" drop to "D"! That's not something I really want to show (and I doubt anyone else wants the heart attacks either) unless I'm pretty sure it's accurate. :)

At the moment, I'm not sure how valuable it will be to proceed without a better understanding of the new system... I'd hate to give people false hope (or unduly take hope away!) by showing estimates that end up wildly inaccurate.

If you want to make the current system as accurate as possible remove classification calculations for RFPI, RFPO, RFRI, and RFRO. We currently do not perform classification calculations on rimfire divisions. Also take the fastest time, regardless of center fire division and use that to calculate the classification.

That being said I wouldn't change what you have with the possible exception of adding a line at the top of the current classification summary that calculates the classification based on the fastest time for each stage that was shot from a center fire division. That way you'd be calculating classification the way we do it now as well as showing classification by division (which I really like).

Finally Steel Challenge is one of the topics for the upcoming BoD meeting. I've emailed my AD and asked him to get a status on the classification system. I would encourage everyone to email their AD as well and tell him you'd like an update. If enough ask perhaps at least one will as the question on our behalf.

Take a look at A46782. It looks like the code isn't picking up all of his production scores. He's shot Showdown but it does show up and for The Pendulum he's best time is 30.84 versus 64.77.

Oh wow, you caught a rather large bug. Seems my script had an off-by-one bug, causing the last stage of some matches not to get counted!

I'm reprocessing data now.

Thanks for the careful check. :)

Edited by jakemaul

At the moment, I'm not sure how valuable it will be to proceed without a better understanding of the new system... I'd hate to give people false hope (or unduly take hope away!) by showing estimates that end up wildly inaccurate.

If you want to make the current system as accurate as possible remove classification calculations for RFPI, RFPO, RFRI, and RFRO. We currently do not perform classification calculations on rimfire divisions. Also take the fastest time, regardless of center fire division and use that to calculate the classification.

That being said I wouldn't change what you have with the possible exception of adding a line at the top of the current classification summary that calculates the classification based on the fastest time for each stage that was shot from a center fire division. That way you'd be calculating classification the way we do it now as well as showing classification by division (which I really like).

Finally Steel Challenge is one of the topics for the upcoming BoD meeting. I've emailed my AD and asked him to get a status on the classification system. I would encourage everyone to email their AD as well and tell him you'd like an update. If enough ask perhaps at least one will as the question on our behalf.

One of the main reasons I did this was at the request of one of my buddies at my local range that shoots a lot of RFPI, and does markedly better with it than he does at Limited. He wanted to see a more granular view of the data.

Your idea on a "centerfire overall"/"Official" row is interesting though... it would be nice to have one that mirrored the SCSA official rating exactly. I'll see what I can do.

If you are using the current centerfire classification system/times for rimfire classification it would be off because rimfire shoots from low ready. This could mean +/- .5 second per run faster and +/- 2 seconds per stage since rimfire shoots from low-ready, not holster draw.

I usually shoot Open Auto and Rimfire Open Auto and my draws on a stage like Roundabout are like a 1.1. When shooting rimfire from low ready I can get my first shot off in .6 on the same stage.

So that 2 seconds across the 6 classifier stages would falsely jump you up 12 seconds into the next higher Classification.

I usually shoot Open Auto and Rimfire Open Auto and my draws on a stage like Roundabout are like a 1.1. When shooting rimfire from low ready I can get my first shot off in .6 on the same stage.

Quit bragging, Mr. I-won-every-stage-but-one-this-past-weekend :)

Quit bragging, Mr. I-won-every-stage-but-one-this-past-weekend :)

Bahaha. I am really liking the open gun without the comp Zack :P

Oh wow, you caught a rather large bug. Seems my script had an off-by-one bug, causing the last stage of some matches not to get counted!

I'm reprocessing data now.

Thanks for the careful check. :)

Glad I found something to try and help out with your efforts. Really do appreciate what you're doing!