Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge shooter statistics

jakemaul

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reprocessing is complete, data should be "complete" now. :)

Check mine (A46578) and look at the last row under the RFPO section. It shows a time but None for each stage.

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs

take one down, pass it around

102 little bugs in the code...

Reprocessing again. :)

Hi jakemaul, looks like a useful tool! I'll be shooting my first Steel Challenge this coming Sunday at CCML. I recognize you from the Thursday night matches.

Howdy! I probably won't be there this Sunday, but good luck!

If you haven't seen it, there's a separate page just for stats about the Cactus Thursday match... https://azshooters.org/tnpm_shooter... much the same sort of thing.

Reprocessing is complete, data should be "complete" now. :)

Check mine (A46578) and look at the last row under the RFPO section. It shows a time but None for each stage.

I think it's correct now. Look okay?

There's only one individual stage score listed because the columns are for official stages, and only Smoke & Hope was run in that match. The other 4 stages are unofficial ones.

I think it's correct now. Look okay?

There's only one individual stage score listed because the columns are for official stages, and only Smoke & Hope was run in that match. The other 4 stages are unofficial ones.

Looking good. You're right about that one match. It was our Christmas "fun" match. Our only official stage was S&H because everyone loves to hose that stage.

Found one more thing and this is being VERY nitpicky so you can ignore it if you want but run A46782 and notice his LTD time is > 500. In that case he should be listed as Unclassified. That's how it works today on the steel challenge web site.

Found one more thing and this is being VERY nitpicky so you can ignore it if you want but run A46782 and notice his LTD time is > 500. In that case he should be listed as Unclassified. That's how it works today on the steel challenge web site.

Easy one... fixed!

Okay all... the proposed 2016 classification is shown now. Let me know if it's way off from expectations!

A couple known caveats:

My local club scores uses 'ISP' instead of 'LTD' for the limited division. I don't know the difference. For the time being I've just made them equal, because there's no known peak times for ISP in the new system. I'm guessing this is expected to go away entirely, leaving just the traditional USPSA divisions (open, limited, prod, SS, revo, and the rimfire ones).

Rimfire Rifle peak times have not been set (RFRO and RFRI). Those divisions will be shown as "Unknown" for now. I haven't shot a Steel Challenge match with a rifle (or any kind of rimfire), so I'm not sure if that would be faster or slower. Faster maybe due to sight radius making target acquisition easier, but maybe slower due to transition time? If anyone has a guess as to what the peak times might look like, I'd be happy to put in some guesses. :)

I am *not* enforcing any minimum number of stages on record. If you have even a single stage shot, it'll give you a classification. Officially it will require more than one (BoD meeting minutes from December say 4, but it's not fully decided).

I haven't done anything with ISR, so it's also "Unknown". If folks feel it's appropriate, I could set it equal to Revolver.

I expect folks' classifications will, on average, go down a bit over their current official SCSA classification. Generally speaking it seems to have a "normalizing" effect, pulling people towards the middle- somewhere around a mid-to-high C, though I haven't studied it in depth. However, if you're the type that shoots more than one centerfire division regularly, expect your classification for the two, separately, to each be lower than the current system (which combines them and takes the best overall).

Let me know if you have any thoughts on it!

Jake

ISP and LTD should be treated the same.

ISR and revolver should be treated the same.

If anyone is curious SGP = shotgun pump

ETA: I checked my RFPO calculations against yours and we are either both right or both wrong. :) I can see where you would want to have a minimum number of stages shot before calculating a classification. A46782 is a good example of why you want more than one.

Edited by ZackJones

ETA: I checked my RFPO calculations against yours and we are either both right or both wrong. :) I can see where you would want to have a minimum number of stages shot before calculating a classification. A46782 is a good example of why you want more than one.

You can shoot shotguns at steel challenge now?

Are these the same 8 stages we normally see at a SC match...static steel?

Or is it knock down steel with totally different stages?

You can shoot shotguns at steel challenge now?

Are these the same 8 stages we normally see at a SC match...static steel?

Or is it knock down steel with totally different stages?

I believe shotgun stages are usually side matches. I'm pretty sure they had one at the world shoot last year.

Hi jakemaul, looks like a useful tool! I'll be shooting my first Steel Challenge this coming Sunday at CCML. I recognize you from the Thursday night matches.

Howdy! I probably won't be there this Sunday, but good luck!

If you haven't seen it, there's a separate page just for stats about the Cactus Thursday match... https://azshooters.org/tnpm_shooter... much the same sort of thing.

That's great! I've been using a spreadsheet to analyze my match scores relative to all shooters and the other single stack shooters. I will use your utility for sure!

See you at the range sir!

Rimfire Rifle peak times have not been set (RFRO and RFRI). Those divisions will be shown as "Unknown" for now. I haven't shot a Steel Challenge match with a rifle (or any kind of rimfire), so I'm not sure if that would be faster or slower. Faster maybe due to sight radius making target acquisition easier, but maybe slower due to transition time? If anyone has a guess as to what the peak times might look like, I'd be happy to put in some guesses. :)

My guess would be the peak times would be faster than peak times for RFPO and RFPI but by how much I don't know. Something you could do is use the same peak times that we use now for RFPO and RFPI for the two rifle divisions and just add a note they are probably inaccurate. Thanks again for the work you've put into this. It's much appreciated!

Rimfire Rifle times should be a little faster than the rimfire pistol times based on what I have seen although individual shooters may or may not shoot faster with one of the other. For me I am faster with the rifle by an average of 3-5 seconds per match however I have built a faster (for me anyway) pistol and at the last SC match I set personal bests on 3 of 8 stages with the new RFPO pistol. Still faster with the rifle as I eked out a division win in RFRO by .17 seconds over all 8 stages. Only reason it was that close was I had to eat a miss on one stage after building an almost 3 second lead. If not for that I would have had an overall match win. I can say I beat Todd Jarrett, but lucky for me he was shooting Limited pistol. Knowing what his personal best is he would clearly kick my butt in RFPO (something like 70 seconds I think). I think my best is in the mid to upper 80's. Got a rematch on Aug. 2 and this time no mistakes.

Jake:

One other thing that might be useful to folks to display is what the person's individual 'classification' is for each stage. If you're trying to improve it's useful to know where to focus your training .... if for example you can see that currently you're shooting Roundabout at the "GM" level but Accelerator at only "B" class you now know where you should be spending your efforts. Since you know the peak times for each individual stage it should be easy to display the results on a 'per stage' basis and show the percentage for each one ..... I know that kind of info would be useful to me .... just one more thing to consider ....

One other thing that might be useful to folks to display is what the person's individual 'classification' is for each stage.

Since we can't "like" posts consider this a +1 for this suggestion. I'd love to see this info as well.

Question on this... do you think it's a good idea to actually remap ISR to Revolver and ISP to Limited, or should I show them separately?

Question on this... do you think it's a good idea to actually remap ISR to Revolver and ISP to Limited, or should I show them separately?

No and yes :).

No for revolver because we also have OSR (Open Sight Revolver) as a division. Yes for ISP and LTD as they are are treated the same.

Okay, here's what I'll do then:

Anything that comes in as "Rev" (which has only happened a grand total of *3* times) I will reassign to ISR.

Anything that comes in as "LTD", I will reassign to ISP.

I'll leave OSR alone.

This is just based on what seems more popular- ISR and ISP are far more widely used than "Rev" and "LTD".

There's a bunch of other divisions that are pretty rare- SS, SSP, SGP, ESP, CDP, PI, PIRF, PRO, SSCR, etc. I'm going to leave them alone unless someone is willing to go through the full list (70 divisions... though only 20 have been used in the last 2 years) and tell me how I should combine them. :)