Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 69, opinions and fair market price

mcb

So I want a 44 Mag to carry with my little Rossi M92 in 44 Mag when I am brush hunting deer and a general carry on the tractor when I am working food plots or mowing trails. For this purpose I would think one of the new S&W 69 might be a perfect gun for this task. A lot lighter than a 629 sacrificing just one round. 44 Special shot shells would be excellent on the occasional rattle snake. Local shop has a new one presently mark on sale.

What would be a fair market price for this gun? MSRP according to S&W's website in $849. I want to see if this really is a sale price or just a "sale" price. They were asking $688.

Has anyone shot one? How are full house 44 Mag loads in a revolver that light? I am not a mega monster power junk but would also not want to shoot nothing but 44 Special either. My present hunting load is a 240gr XTP pushed to about 1315 FPS from a 16 barrel. Should be a bit milder in a 4-inch barrel revolver.

Any and all opinions and experience are appreciated!

I keep talking myself in and out of a 629. I looked at the 69 and the weight for the 4.25 inch barrel vs the 629, 4 inch barrel is just a 4.3 oz. difference. Personally I think the extra weight and the extra round would be more desirable for that type of pistol. I have a 686+, 2.5 inch that is fun to shoot even with heavier loads, due to the weight.

I see a lot of 629's used in great condition (sharp hand, very little cylinder wear) in the $600 - $700 range.

They are cool, but as stated the size and weight difference between it and my 629 Mountain Gun isn't that great. (The reason I sold my 696).

Now if they should start to offer it in 2.5" - 3" barrel I might be in trouble. Surely don't need one, but just enough difference is just enough.

Thanks guys, They also had a 629 with a 6.5 inch barrel. but that was a good bit more money, nearly $900 IIRC. If I was shooting it a lot that would be ideal. I love my 6.5 inch 610. The 69 felt really good in my hand. The K-frame just feels so much slimmer than an N-frame even if its not a lot lighter.

Just to clarify, the 69 is an L-frame and not a K-frame. I would go for a 629 mountain gun over a 5-shot just because speed loaders and holsters will be easier to find. Or look for a 3" 629, those are a hoot!

Just to clarify, the 69 is an L-frame and not a K-frame. I would go for a 629 mountain gun over a 5-shot just because speed loaders and holsters will be easier to find. Or look for a 3" 629, those are a hoot!

Sorry I meant L-frame.