Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision/moly bullets in 9mm open?

Newguy

Has anyone tried Precision or other moly bullets for major 9mm open? Precision claims no leading up to 2000 fps -- way fast enough to make major. But, I'm concerned about leading in the barrel and especially the comp (I HATE cleaning guns, especially comps).

My interest is: (1) less powder for the same velocity (should shoot softer), (2) cheaper, and (3) the possibility of SAFELy going down to 115 gr.

I inquired with Tom at Master Blasters and he said he shoots his moly coated bullets in open with no problem. MB also claims extended barrel life.

On the other hand there are those that say moly can increase barrel wear. (see www.schuemann.com)

I have only used the sample packs in 40 and 45 at major and they seemed to do well, however I was able to get JHP's for only $3.40/1000 more than the MB's and opted to stick with what is proven in the open platform. In my mind there just wasn't enough info/shooters to make me go with the moly bullets in open.

Good luck, Craig

We really ought to stop calling Precision/MasterBlaster/BearCreek bullets "moly" because they aren't. It's some kind of polymer-based coating with moly in it, but it is not the same as the straight molybdenum disulfide used to coat rifle bullets.

Anyway, my experience has been that the "black" pistol bullets require less (sometimes much less) power to reach the same velocity as jacketed bullets.

I'm like Newguy, I'd like to know if it's possible to use Precision bullets in an open gun @ 1350 fps. Has anyone else tried this? If so, what were the results.......specifically lead build-up in the barrel and comp and smoke.

DaG

Info from Dave @ Precision Bullets..........................

Darren,

We don't recommend our bullets for open guns.When the bullet passes through the comp and the gases are diverted it cuts through the base and leads the comp.Stick with JHP's for your open gun.

Dave

I guess no black bullets for open..................

DaG

That's pretty honest for Precision to recommend jacketed bullets for Open. But probably figures the limited amount of Open shooters that would use his bullets isn't worth the hassle of the complaints and bad rap if they do lead the comps up more.

i would still like to try shooting them .

reason i say is in my glock 34, 7.5 grains of accurate arms number 7 and a master blaster 125(actual 128) makes slightly more than the major PF.

if not that, i would give some plated bullets a try.

either way your not saving much in terms of total cost reduction..