Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 38 Super

I have just started shooting 38 super recently. I have 231 (for my 45) and am going to try to work up a load with it. A buddy has a load but the speeds are way slow.

What are some other powders to check out. I would like to be able to load some mild target loads and some with a little more pepper on them.

Any suggestions? I'll be using a 125 grain hard cast round nose bullet.

Do read the disclaimers on that page too-- most of those loads are for fully-supported, carefully fit IPSC open guns. If your .38 super isn't one of those, stick close to book loads (glancing at the list, all the 231 loads on it don't look super hot)

Second what Shred said. Funny how the reloading companies caution against max loads in unsupported barrels and then add "SUCH AS GLOCK" as if that is the only unsupported barrel out there.  The original 1911 design from the turn of the century lacks a supported barrel and it has been kept that way for over a century in most 1911s, but yet it seems somehow sacreligious to fault the 1911 for anything - even when it actually has faults.  

Sounds like you may have the antique-style 1911 w/o a ramped, supported barrel. The majority of guns discussed here and on Jeff Maass' page are modern competition designs with fully supported ramped barrels that can easily handle 165+ power factor loads. Many of our loads could be dangerous in the average 1911. BTW, S_I recognized the design improvements and calls their guns "2011" rather than 1911, though thankfully the trigger system of the original is retained.

For your gun, I would suggest a powder quite a bit slower burning than 231 (sim. to HP38). Most reloading manuals (such as Lyman and Lee) have a burning rate chart to help you select a more appropriate powder.  You might look at Vihta Voury or Vectan brand, although I know most shooters will simply turn to the domestic companies' offerings. Finally, pay VERY close attention to the reloader's guidelines since exceding the maximums will likely revive a phenomenon we used to call "superface".

SC Shooter,

Asking for a jumping off point for a load in 38 super is like asking  "What kind of car should I buy?"  To answer the question, we need to know what kind of gun and what the load will be used for.  A little more info would make it eaiser to give you a clearer answer instead of trying to cover all the bases.:)

Sorry, I probably should have included more information with original post.

I am shooting a 5" Springfield 1911 9mm which has a 38 Super Barsto ramped barrel fitted. I am using the load for general plinking and some steel plates.

It is my first attempt at gunsmithing. The barrel fits pretty good but it probably could be a little tighter fit in a couple of places. There's a little more play than is probably optimal but I'll know next time.

I have shot some factory ammo through the gun but it seems to be about 9mm speed. Perhaps it is made for guns with unsupported chambers.

I don't intend to use maximum loads, I just want something with a bit more power. Loads I have seen with 231 go up to around 6.0 grains (about 1200 fps).

I just want a powder that I can load from mild target rounds to reasonably stout loads.  

Oops, I forgot. I also would like something halfway clean. I'd rather shoot 'em than clean'em.

(Edited by SC shooter at 9:19 am on June 20, 2002)

Ok, now I feel a little better-- I had some visions that you might be sticking these loads in a 70-year old antique or something.

Anyway, almost all factory .38 Super loads are down the power scale, just in case you stick one in one of those antiques. Winchester's factory 125gr Silvertip load does 1250fps in my Super. The USA 130gr fmj do around 1175fps. Cor-Bon's +P are supposedly a bit better, coming in around 165 PF, but I've never used them.

You: "It is my first attempt at gunsmithing. The barrel fits pretty good but it probably could be a little tighter

fit in a couple of places. There's a little more play than is probably optimal but I'll know next time."

REPLY: Good man! Glad to hear there are those who do not shy away from gunsmithing their own 1911s. That ramped barrel you installed should be just fine for the loads you will encounter here or at Jeff Maass' site. Since you are shooting plates (I assume outside USPSA/IPSC competition), you may want to tinker with the 90 grn bullets usually made to shoot in the .380 (9mm Kurtz or 9x17mm). At speed, (say,  above 1400fps) they will work on most plates calibrated for 9mm (9x19), they shoot flat, and if you have the chance to try such loads in a friend's comp gun, you will barely feel the gun go off. We are limited here to 115grn bullets in the US and I think 121 grn internationally. Otherwise, I'd shoot 90s.  

• 1 month later...

I'm using 4.8 grains of 231 with a 130gr winchester fmj in my Les Baer 38 super and it runs about 1050fps. Couple that with a 12lb recoil spring and it runs like a champ, very little recoil and the slide still cycles super fast, no pun intended. I use this for my IDPA gamer load.