Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in

if your shooting uspsa or even idpa most shots are less than twenty yards

So I sight in 2" high at fifty feet. about 17 yds

I've shot a 6 oclock hold for over 40 years though

that lets me put the front sight just at the bottom of a steel plate and see basically the whole plate and hit it in the center

If sighting in for general purpose you might consider 25 yards with impact at the top of the front sight blade

Or lots of younger shooters have impact right behind the front sight dot/Fiber Optic

Couple of thoughts, try one and shoot for a while and see if you're getting the results you want and adjust for there

good fortune

jcc7x7

Edited by jcc7x7

I think most people sight in at 25yards off a rest. At 25 yards I set the top of the front blade where I want it to hit. But after sighting in I always put the dot over the intended target at most uspsa distances.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

I think it depends a bit on how the stage designers of your particular matches are setting up their stages. Where I shoot, they love to set up 4" steel squares at 25 yards, so I have my guns zeroed at 25 yards specifically for these small steel targets. It doesn't hurt my close game that I can tell.

I run a small diameter FO front sight, .040" for iron sighted pistols. I sight them in to be dead on at 25 yards. That puts them about 3/8" low at 14 and the same high at 35. That is plenty good enough for me.

For my red dot equipped pistols, I do the same, but the differences are greater. It takes 3 1/4 MOA clicks up to convert a 25 yard zero to 14. Normally I don't bother, but some matches use 1" dia. steel buttons at 14 yards and it makes a difference.