Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA comp problem (maybe)

sniper3

This is for all you tanfo experts. I have a 9mm small frame I purchased used about 5 years ago with a 3 hole comp that I assume is all factory. The comp is part of the barrel which is non removable from the slide. I've put about 5k rounds through it without a single problem. Cleaning the gun this weekend I noticed the comp was off center and found that the comp totally unscrewed from the barrel. It looks like there may have been some type of "sealer" on the the threads that held the comp in rock solid place for many years. My "problem" , if it is one, is should I try and seal it back on, or is it ok to leave it loose and if so will it affect anything. Thanks in advance guys

Any pics? I live the older tanfo p9 open guns! Lol as far as the comp go to binary engineering dealer page. He has a great video on how to clean the threads and replace a comp. I'm not sure if he says what he recommends for thread locker. But if you decide to re apply anything I would clean it extensively 1st.

Sniper3: Pictures if you can.

It sounds like you have removed the cone/comp from the barrel already, is this correct ?

If so , and your comfortable working on your own gun , you can easily re-Loctite the threads.

Mark where the cone/comp sits on the barrel, remove cone/comp and thoroughly clean the threads on both barrel and cone.

Use Red 271 Loctite on the threads , quickly re-install cone/comp to your marks, get it back in the slide, re-assemble the gun and adjust the comp position if necessary before Loctite sets up.

Let it sit and dry for at least 24 hours.

Best of luck

My main computer is out being repaired and I'm on my backup and cant post pics. The guide rod goes into the comp about an 1/8 of an inch , but I feel uncomfortable leaving it loose. I should have my main computer on Friday so I can post some pics. If all looks ok after the pics , I'll try the Loctite. Theres pictures of the gun on the tanfo forum .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a comp that was notorious for loosening (my error). Began with Rocksett because of it's advertised tolerance for high-temperatures, but it was not reliable in my situation. I then switched to LOCTITE 37421 271 Red Heavy Duty and still experienced loosening after a 300 round rapid paced session.

I contacted the comp manufacturer at Carver Custom (non Tanfoglio firearm) and have it resolved......1) before using the LOCTITE 37421 271 Red Heavy Duty....clean both the barrel threads and comp threads with inexpensive "pure" ethyl acetate 2) apply a liberal amount of LOCTITE.

3,000+ rounds later, my comp has not loosened at all.

I fired a Tanfoglio Silver team open gun for my early years in USPSA and the comp was designed to be loose and indexed by the guide rod.

The threads were indexed to have the comp meet flush with the slide face.

If I remember correctly the barrel must be removed backward from the slide so the comp must be removed every time you field strip the gun.

So loctiting seems counter-productive

Other than low mag count (13-14 max with base extension) the gun served me fine and I would probably have kept it.

But the hi cap of a STI Trubor lured me away.

The best Loctite for comps is the green #680 Retaining Compound. You must use it as in post #9. You could also make a longer guide rod to stabilize the comp so it doesn't need Loctite.

I have found that if a comp is loose enough to turn more than a couple of degrees it will change the point of impact by changing how the gun recoils because the comp gas is pushing the gun in a different direction than original.

Edited by Toolguy

Update on original post. I did indeed use red locktite after cleaning the threads , and let it sit overnight. Reassemble on Saturday , off to the range on Sunday with a nice and tight comp. Worked flawless. The world may go back to spinning again :cheers: