Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lowest spring weight for an open gun

Flyin40

I did some searching and found several threads where it said don't go below 10lbs

because it won't have enough strength to strip the bullet and close the slide. Whats everyone's take on this?? How do you get light steel loads to function and what spring weight.

Flyin40

Yes One I like the Whitesh clear CP Buffs just because I have always used them. I use buffers to mostly "check/monitor" my guns status. I replace them for fun before big matches. Never shredded one but they usually have a pretty good 'dent" impression I do like the feel but think its mostly a comfort level rather than an advantage.

I am a big proponant of "find something that works and practice"

I was using using 6lbs in my old long open gun at one point. Today, in that gun, it's either 6 or 8.

I don't shoot it much these days so I've forgotten all essential information - I can only keep one gun in my head at a time :P

Kevin

Flyin40,

When you start using light loads alot of factors come in to play. Like mainspring, slide weight and mag spring pressure. The lighter that things are the lower you can go on the recoil spring. I shoot Action Pistol almost exclusively so we deal with the light loads all the time. My current gun has had the slide lightened by 3 oz. I'm using an 8 lb recoil spring and a 17 lb mainspring with 2 coils cut off. The mag springs have also been weakened.

I learned a valuable lesson when I was messing around with my STI Steel gun. I was using a 7 lb recoil spring and a full weight slide. It took 5.5 grains of 231 to make the gun run with only 10 rounds in the mag. I made the slide look like a Beretta. It now runs with 5.1 grains of 231 and will run with 27 rounds in the mag.

Good luck,

Kevin

I already have the slide lightened but from what I read I didn't want to go below a 10lb spring. I'll have to mess around now, I just put a order in to Shooter's connection and I wish I would of ordered the 7 and 8lb springs too. I'll be shooting some steel and Action pistol so I'll be using light loads there.

Thks for the info

Flyin40

my gun likes a 7 pound when it is cold and a eight pound in the dead of summer. do a search and build the spring measuring tool as it has been a great tool to keep the same poundage spring in your bag, as all the springs i purchased have been a little different in opening and closing rates.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot AP also, and run a 7# with a buff. I put the buff in there mainly as a warning device so I can tell if the spring is getting worn too much. With a new spring, there are no marks on the buff, so when it begins to show some contact indention, I know it's time to get a new spring. So far I have over 10k rounds with no wear showing! The lightened slide makes a lot of difference in the spring you'll need.

Alan~^~