Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Feeder Shutoff

Something that drives me nuts about the Dillon case feeder is that you can't shut off the brass. Like, when you come to the end of the primers, or, want to just send a couple cases around to check powder, seating, etc.

So, I just got a thumbscrew from the hardware store, and, drilled a hole no bigger than the diameter of the screw shaft. I did not "thread" it. It's pretty soft plastic and pretty much threads itself, but then I'm no machinist either, so, I'd probably screw that up.

If I turn it off with the ram fully up, it will let only one more case come down. With the ram down, it will let 2 cases. This is setup for .45 (as you can see.)

I;ve loaded many thousands of rounds with this, and, it's not getting loose or anything. But, remember you can always drill the hole bigger, so, start small. And, pay attention to where the screw is positioned so it clears everything and allows your fingers to get to it.

post-50247-0-19648600-1435519776_thumb.j

post-50247-0-91394900-1435519789_thumb.j

Take a 38 spl case and slightly squeeze the end to make an oval. Slip it in the side as shown when the handle is down. The case keeps the arm from swinging back to pick up a new case. When you want to continue, pull out the case.

post-22108-0-64935000-1435537913_thumb.j

post-22108-0-70470800-1435537928_thumb.j

Drop a piece of brass by hand and stick it in the way like this:

20150629_060906_zpsntfboswq.jpg

Instant shut off.

ETA I guess I'm not the first one to say this.

Edited by AJE

I adjusted the primer rod to hit the low primer buzzer, then I just turn off the case feeder and the primers run out the same time the cases run out, no extra anything. All it takes is to slide an empty piece of brass onto the primer rod (drill out the primer hole for a snug fit) and experiment where the correct position is. Once you are satisfied (try several times to make sure) then glue the brass in place. Now each time you hear the primer buzzer go off you simply turn off the case feeder and each will run out at the same time. Buy same size wood dowel rod and make one for each caliber you are loading. OR you can cut the plastic rod to do the same thing, but no going back with this method.

I guess I didn't specify that I"m using a 550. I don't recognize the picture of the case inserted into a spot on the machine, so, I assume that's a 1050. Sorry for the confusion, but, good points to remember when I get a 1050. Thanks

Hey PMT. I think I like your idea better than mine. You only have to make one modification not one for each caliber, and, it's instant.

I didn't see pics on your post, so, I made this and took some pics. I'm pretty sure I followed your plan. Check my homework assignment.

One thing I noticed is that there is not a lot of room on the corner of the plunger, so, you only get to drill this hole once.

Thanks.

It's just a #12 solid copper electrical wire with the insulation stripped off and it's bent so I can easily handle it.

You can see the hole in the corner of the flat part of the brass plunger where the wire sticks in.

post-50247-0-29342500-1435648306_thumb.j

post-50247-0-09446400-1435648318_thumb.j

For the 650, I just bent some 1/8" rod into a roughly U-shape that is then used to grab the casefeed support arm and prevent case feeding. Got the idea from this video (he sells these on ebay):

Edited by G19

Hey PMT. I think I like your idea better than mine. You only have to make one modification not one for each caliber, and, it's instant.

I didn't see pics on your post, so, I made this and took some pics. I'm pretty sure I followed your plan. Check my homework assignment.

One thing I noticed is that there is not a lot of room on the corner of the plunger, so, you only get to drill this hole once.

Thanks.

It's just a #12 solid copper electrical wire with the insulation stripped off and it's bent so I can easily handle it.

You can see the hole in the corner of the flat part of the brass plunger where the wire sticks in.

Yep, that's what I did. I had a little flat bar with a pin in it that I used in place of your #12 wire. There is room to pull the plunger back even further against the spring, so you don't have to drill so close to the edge. Before I lock mine I have to pull back slightly.

Edited by pmt

I use a twist tie and insert it through the hole on the casefeed body bushing. There are 2 holes 180 degrees apart. I insert it through both.

This is on a 650 though. Not sure if the 550 has that?