Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Observation

dejadoo

New stock SP01 Shadow - maybe 250 rounds down the pipe and less than 1,000 dry fire pulls (stock TRS broke around 500).

All polished up internally.

CGW parts include trigger pin, competition hammer, reduced springs (firing pin, hammer, recoil) and the extended firing pin.

While dry firing, I just noticed that with the hammer cocked the firing pin will move forward and back through the stop simply by tilting the the pistol forward and back.

I've had zero issues with ignition with the 250 rounds.

Is this normal? Is it time to replace the firing pin spring already?

Edit for spelling.

Edited by dejadoo

I pulled out the CGW firing pin spring & replaced it with a Rami spring (the Rami feels lighter than the stock spring and both are longer than the CGW) & left in the extended firing pin.

I've not taken to the range yet, but now when dry firing, after the hammer falls, I am able to push the hammer further forward. When I do, the stop as well as the firing pin both move deeper and the hammer will stay forward until I cock it again.

I don't know this as fact but I have noticed issues with Shadows and the CGW firing pin spring. My thoughts are that it was made for firing pin block models and does not work the same in shadows. In firing pin block pistols since there is no need to hold the retaining plate since the firing pin is held in place by a roll pin. The Rami spring is a little stronger and longer and can hold the plate in place. The CGW firing pin spring is not designed to do so.

We have observed something different with "some" Shadows. We have sold thousands of our FP springs (RP-TRS) alone for Shadows and installed on our firing pins with no issues. Lately, we have had a few complaints just like the OP has posted. So we now have a new spring just for the Shadow, our part number 97041 that will be installed on all new 85/Shadow firing pins.

We have built many Shadows this year and none have displayed the issue in this thread, all have used our tried and true RP-FPS firing pin spring. So it appears there are some variations in some Shadow slides in the firing pin bore.

David, if we order the rp fps on your website will it be the new spring? I don't see any part numbers listed.

Matt

I just fired off an email inquiring how to order this spring. I'll post the answer if I get a response before he checks in here.