Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does any one else "do the math" on match scores?

j1b

I'm just wondering how .... Maniacal .... I am.

It's why I love all the divisions and struggle with all the divisions. In many of the clubs I shoot the scores are only pulled out by separate divisions. So, for example, recently I've shot a few single stack matches. This last match I shot the scores only show how I did against single stack shooters. That's cool - but hardly satisfying enough (for me).

So I go in and pull all the division winners into a spreadsheet, recalc all the stage factors and get a sense of how I did overall against all competitors.

How did I do against the limited guys? The production guys? The open guys? How were my times and factors as compared to them?

I calc how I would have done if I'd have competed in just limited, or just production, or just open. Just to see - help me gauge where I'm at as compared to where I think I should be. Perhaps trying to legitimize my "fallacy of being competitive" some might say???? Hmmmm.....

This time around I even took a couple of my division shooters and calced the "what if no "on paper" mistakes" scenario. So I recalced hit factors with no misses and penalties and adding in the corresponding A points to see how that would have shifted results. I did that for the overall scenario and within the division.

I like the data and I like how it kind of shows where the opportunity may lie.

Anywho - just wondering if I'm alone in terms of people getting scores back and then playing out different scenarios?

I drop the club match scores into a spreadsheet to see how I did against all shooters in one part of the spreadsheet, and in another part I break down the scores of only the singlestack shooters. For the singlestack shooters, I break the scores down by stage to see how we ranked on each stage. I type in comments so I can go back and see what I thought I did well, what I would have done differently, mistakes not to repeat, what my state of mind and energy level were, what I was seeing versus the reality of the clock/cardboard/steel, etc.

I have a pretty good GM that shoots production at my club. If I have video of my stages, I look at his time and points, and try to figure out where I lost that time on the video. I use the shot coach app to figure all of that out. It showed me how much time I'm wasting on movement, not the shooting portion of things.

I also do all kinds of crazy math comparisons in the spreadsheets. Manipulating data is just fun for me.

I've done that a couple times for clubs that only published per-division results, but not regularly. Too tedious to be worth it (and pretty much everywhere that I shoot now uses Practiscore which has combined results anyways).

The EzWinScore software will actually produce an overall score sheet, some clubs post it, some don't. There is a web site that shows the same information for matches posted to USPSA. Can't recall the URL right now.

http://combinedresults.info/

That's a great link. I had no idea. Good news is all my math and calculations were right! Bad news is the results didn't change ....

Thanks for sharing!

I'm also one who likes to look at "Combined" results in addition to my own Division. It helps me see where I am, on any given day, compared to good shooters to are in other divisions. This is a relative comparison, I know, but I can see where I'm at compared to them. For instance, vs an Open GM at one club I used to shoot Production at about 45% of his scores; when I got higher (consistently) I knew I was doing well. Same thing for friends in Limited when I'm shooting Prod, or vice versa. The Combined results cut across the divisions and give us a useful metric for our own performance.

Yep, USPSA doesn't do Combined results. Practiscore does, so does combinedresults.info, although I think the latter gets their data from the USPSA stats (so it's useful when the MD doesn't use the iPad version of Practi or doesn't report the Combined scores).

the issue with doing this is it's not really an appropriate comparision because open shooters don't shoot a stage like a Production or SS shooter would and neither do Limited guys so just recalculating scores doesn't really tell you how you would have done against them ...

Edited by Nimitz

it doesn't really. However, I shoot with a bunch of production guys who tell me that the ONLY reason I beat them is because I shoot Limited or Open. More than once I have shot L10 or Open 10 (doesnt exist) and whooped their asses. Even using Minor scoring.

A lot is about bragging rights, or as someone else mentioned, if you are consistently increasing your percentage against someone else because you have no one to dominate in your Division, that's fine too. We ALL do it, at least mentally.

If you aren't chasing someone that's fine. If you want to improve, you need to figure out who to catch.

3 years ago, I chased everyone. 2 years ago I started chasing specific people. Now, people are chasing me, and i'm by no means a great shooter, just better than all of those guys.

I love mentoring the new guys. First thing I tell them. Do NOT try to shoot the stage like me. I am ACTUALLY seeing a sight picture on every (mostly) shot. If you try to doubletap you will have Mikes. Its fun teaching and watching them grow. Better people than me have taken me under their wings and now I'm not chasing them anymore and some are happy at my successes.

If only I could beat the 16 year old Production and GMs at my club......with an Open gun....

the issue with doing this is it's not really an appropriate comparision because open shooters don't shoot a stage like a Production or SS shooter would and neither do Limited guys so just recalculating scores doesn't really tell you how you would have done against them ...

Yes and no.

It is obvious that the different divisions shoot stages differently.

I didn't win on Sunday, so this argument doesn't hold water as compared to years past. But I can say this, when you win HOA with a single stack against good competitors with open guns .... Let me just say you know you shot well .....

i agree that anytime you can beat an open shooter shooting a gun from any other division that that is saying something about your ability vs theirs ... its going in the otehr direction I don't buy ....

First time I brought Mike Seeklander out to my club to host a class he finished 3rd overall shooting Limited behind 2 master class open shooters ... that tells you something about his ability given that he beat approximately 15-20 open shooters ...

Side discussion -

When the New USPSA website comes to be, what type of statistics would you want it to have? Right now It will show you only percentage of points shot with and without penalties but I think it should have a lot more. Just curious what others ideas may be. Maybe I should start another thread...