Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rapid dry fire, sights moving

completefudd

As an experiment, I dry fired my pistol rapidly (without reset) just to see how fast I can make the trigger move. In doing so, I also notice my front sight wiggle just a bit. "A bit" as in, not as bad as the front sight dip/jerk that I managed to get rid of long ago. Would really skilled shooters be able to do this with zero movement in the front sight?

As a note, when I do this slower, my front sight is quite stable.

In my experience this means that I'm not gripping the gun tight enough (usually support hand), it could be this for you or an entirely different reason. If you notice this in dry fire, you can be sure it's worse in live fire. Usually the shots that you are making at this speed don't require the precision of frozen sights at break but it is still something that should be minimized.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

I've also noticed that if I move my trigger finger in the air with other fingers somewhat curled, I see lots of sympathetic movement in those fingers with every pull. If I go slowly, the sympathetic movement is more muted. I'm guessing this is what's causing the gun to move when I go rapidly. Is there a way to better control this in my right hand? Or is having a stronger grip in the support hand the way to go?

A lot of the control of your strong hand is skill attained through practice. Experiment with different degrees of grip strength, in my experience I squeeze harder with my support hand and the wobble goes away. Your mileage may vary.

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay away from anything that has you using some kind of outside visual cue to determine what's happening ... you won't have these crutches during a match so training that way is counter productive. Learn to use your sights to tell you what's happening .... Ben Stoeger's 'white wall fundamentals' dry fire drill is all you need to learn appropriate trigger control. With the money you save in not buying a SIRT pistol you can by more bullets to train with .... and still have some leftover to send me a small honorarium check for putting you on the path to shooting greatness ... :)

A good friend is a master revolver person. He said his front sight always wiggles a bit when he pulls the trigger. This does not keep him from making fast tight shots at matches.

I was reading one of Stoeger's books where he talks about doing 50 yard drills, he said the front sight always moves and you get used to it (paraphrasing, I'm too lazy to go dig up the exact quote) , he also talks about learning to judge how much trigger control is neccessary depending upon target difficulty but I think that was on one of his DVD's. My take away was that even he can't hold a gun dead steady when aiming and he needs to make a slower trigger press to keep the gun on target for the really difficult shots.

there is a difference between the sights 'moving' while shooting and being 'disturbed' out of alignment when you pull the trigger because of poor trigger mechanics. If your sights stay aligned during the entire firing cycle you can move the gun around as much as you want and you'll still shoot alphas. If fact your gun will never stay perfectly still ...it's called the wobble zone and it's different for everyone. Both Ben & Mike Seeklander demonstrate this in there classes where they will line up the gun on a target and then start slowly moving the gun around & have someone randomly say 'fire'. With the gun constantly moving they still shoot all alphas because they don't disturb the sight picture at the moment the shot breaks.

Edited by Nimitz

If you get one of the SIRT pistols with the two different colors of laser the computer can track the movement of the gun before and after you pull the trigger.

That works great, I own one. You can also get a laser boresight cartridge for your specific pistol (I've got both a boresighter and a firing pin activated laser snap cap) if you have the continual beam you can just watch it on a spot on the wall and see how much, if any it moves through your entire DA trigger pull. I've been doing this with my Shadow for dry fire training and have really noticed I'm getting my grip more dialed in and consistent.

I would stay away from anything that has you using some kind of outside visual cue to determine what's happening ... you won't have these crutches during a match so training that way is counter productive. Learn to use your sights to tell you what's happening .... Ben Stoeger's 'white wall fundamentals' dry fire drill is all you need to learn appropriate trigger control. With the money you save in not buying a SIRT pistol you can by more bullets to train with .... and still have some leftover to send me a small honorarium check for putting you on the path to shooting greatness ... :)

That does make a lot of sense but I found it has been working for me to incorporate lasers into my dry-fire routine, usually the night before I am going to shoot. I don't find myself looking for the visual cue but do seem to notice more when I start to slack up or get lazy with my grip. I do agree that you need to follow up with live fire for sure to put what you were working on to use. Really though that's true of any dry fire drills I would think.

there is a difference between the sights 'moving' while shooting and being 'disturbed' out of alignment when you pull the trigger because of poor trigger mechanics.

Agreed.

Per the original post "I dry fired my pistol rapidly (without reset) just to see how fast I can make the trigger move. In doing so, I also notice my front sight wiggle just a bit". Per Stoeger's stuff (bottom of page 18 in the skills and drills book for example) , sometimes a careful trigger press is needed for a difficult target, and that is not the sort of trigger control he uses on a close range target. It seems to me that he is slowing down the trigger press for the difficult shots in order to cut down on the wiggle that the original poster observed.

you absolutely use a different trigger press for different types of targets .... for a 3 yd open target you can basically slap the trigger as fast as you can and still get alphas. At 25 yds you basically need to do everything correctly to hit an alpha, which includes not disturbing the sights at the moment you break the shot. the Accelerator & Close, far, Close drills are great for learning the different types of trigger pulls

• 2 weeks later...

Isolating the specific muscles for the rapid trigger pull is had to do, going slow it is much easier.... I find by relaxing my strong hand more gripping better with my weak hand provides less sight movement.... but also practicing this... will help reduce thim even more.