Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 vs 10mm

Daft

I know the 10mm is longer than the .40 so you can put more powder in it and get greater velocity with the same bullet.

If I were to buy a 10 over a 40, I could still load the same recipe and get the same results, and I could load hotter if I wanted to.

Other than the cost of brass and powder, are there other differences like feeding in an auto or something else that affects performance and reliability?

Thanks in advance amigos

Funny you mention that. I just picked up my custom 5" bushing 2011 from the 'smith with its new 10mm barrel (carry 10mm, practice and shoot whatever with .40). Using only a spring and barrel swap I can shoot 10mm or .40, depending on application. STI Mags were originally designed for .45 ACP (about 1.250 overall length) and 10mm is the same (1.250).

I made a promise that I would shoot a full USPSA match with medium-magnum 10mm rounds.

Besides the cost of brass (about $160/k for new starline brass, when they have it available) and being large primer vs small primer, you hit the nail on the head. 10mm has a lot of verstility, but there's not much need or it in USPSA. I load .40 to just over major with 180 grain bullets at low pressures (WST powder) so going to 10mm is just for giggles/carry for me.

I have seen someone use a glock 20 with an aftermarket .40 barrel, though, for the purposes of loading long/cheaper than 10mm. To each their own.

My goal is just to see how fast I can get some of the 135 grain Nosler JHP's I have going. I'm aiming for about 1650 FPS.

Thanks for above, I have a chrono coming in a few days. I shoot Glock g35, g34, thinking about a g40 for the sight radius and longer barrel. I have not shot IDPA, and I shoot action pistol and some 3gun modern. Still shoot cowboy, thus the avatar.

I know the 10mm is longer than the .40 so you can put more powder in it and get greater velocity with the same bullet.

If I were to buy a 10 over a 40, I could still load the same recipe and get the same results, and I could load hotter if I wanted to.

Other than the cost of brass and powder, are there other differences like feeding in an auto or something else that affects performance and reliability?

Thanks in advance amigos

I think you nailed it. But it would be significant and those who shoot with you would hate you!!

In the early 1990s I was shooting a .44 Rem Magnum for the first time in an indoor range in LA. After about 25 rounds or so of shooting for groups, I put it down and stepped back to rest and refocus my concentration and I saw that everyone else (8-10 guys) there had stopped shooting and were staring ( the load was a 240 grain bullet at 1500 fps if memory serves- maybe 360 power factor). It was much better (quieter) outdoors.

Edited by jmbaccolyte