Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plagued with mis-fires and light primer strikes

robomanusa

Ok Nick...what did you do to my gun? It was working fine when I sold it to you? :lol:

I just tried one of the Wolff trigger spring kits in my new 625. What a pain the a$$. I used the new main spring and the 14 lb trigger return spring. Couldn't get two full moonclips to go off without two or three strikes per round! I used loads with WLP primers. Looks like I need to switch to Federals also. I put the original mainspring back in and it ran fine yesterday in the revolver match I shot.

Good luck getting the bugs worked out. Sorry I missed you at the match Saturday. I woke up to a level one snow emergency and in my county...that means STAY HOME since the road crews suck.

See you at the April match.

Marvin

Ok Nick...what did you do to my gun? It was working fine when I sold it to you? :lol:

I just tried one of the Wolff trigger spring kits in my new 625. What a pain the a$$. I used the new main spring and the 14 lb trigger return spring. Couldn't get two full moonclips to go off without two or three strikes per round! I used loads with WLP primers. Looks like I need to switch to Federals also. I put the original mainspring back in and it ran fine yesterday in the revolver match I shot.

Good luck getting the bugs worked out. Sorry I missed you at the match Saturday. I woke up to a level one snow emergency and in my county...that means STAY HOME since the road crews suck.

See you at the April match.

Marvin

LOL, Marvin....didn't take me long to mess it up!....I used a wolf kit same as you for my triggerjob. It sets em all off firing single action just fine, but doesn't during double action firing.

I may just do like you have done, put the stock hammer spring back in it. Also this was my first revolver triggerjob, so maybe I have missed a polishing spot somewheres? who knows...LOL I do know its way smoother and lighter than original and I was happy with how it felt.

If you happen to make C-Class and plan to shoot revolver at the Ohio Sectional I would suggest lots of oil and CCI primers

Trust me :ph34r::D

hehe, thanks for the advise.... :huh:

Hard to say what class I will be in by then, D or C class most likely. MRP's April match will be an all classifier match....I wound up with a 23% on the cm03-04 I shot saturday, which included an extra reload I shouldn't have had to do....hehe

MRP's April match will be an all classifier match....I wound up with a 23% on the cm03-04 I shot saturday, which included an extra reload I shouldn't have had to do....hehe

Just received word from them regarding the same thing. I tanked a few of my first USPSA revolver classifiers too...nerves and stupid mistakes (usually trying to go too fast).

Hits on the non-threat kill on that classifier :blink: . Extra reloads are the devil's work :angry:

Federal primers - "stay with the flock" :)

Which Wolf spring kit did you use? If it is the Competition only main spring, you will not get ignition consistantly unless using the Fed primers.

Here is a suggestion:

Call S&W Customer Service and order several different length strain screws (yes they have them) If you can measure OAL of the one you have it will help them.

Then prime up some brass and try the different length screws until you get consistant ignition. If there is a screw a slight bit longer, use that one so when the spring weakens, it will still work. Always carry a full power spring with you in case you need it.

As far a lube goes, you only need three drops in the lock work of a S&W revolver. I really like Corrosion X. Mike Tuit is the owner and a great guy. E mail him and maybe he will send a sample. Here is the web site:

Corrosion X

Regards,

Gary

Which Wolf spring kit did you use? If it is the Competition only main spring, you will not get ignition consistantly unless using the Fed primers.

Here is a suggestion:

Call S&W Customer Service and order several different length strain screws (yes they have them) If you can measure OAL of the one you have it will help them.

Then prime up some brass and try the different length screws until you get consistant ignition. If there is a screw a slight bit longer, use that one so when the spring weakens, it will still work. Always carry a full power spring with you in case you need it.

As far a lube goes, you only need three drops in the lock work of a S&W revolver. I really like Corrosion X. Mike Tuit is the owner and a great guy. E mail him and maybe he will send a sample. Here is the web site:

Corrosion X

Regards,

Gary

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...VER&s=2948#2948

brownells part number 080-665-201

Im using the 13lb rebound spring out of the kit as well.

Underlug,

Area-6..................................................May

Arkansas Section - Saturday "revolver"...May

Area-4..................................................June

USPSA Nationals....................................July

Area-5..................................................Maybe

Tennessee Section.................................Setember????

Mississippi Section R/O staff (Friday).......October

Missouri Fall Classic...............................October

East Tx Section......................................Nov/Dec Maybe

Damn Looks like I'll use up all the new gun money again this year <_<

Would be glad to shoot with you, I'm not very good at this thing but I sure do ENJOY it :D

Hopalong

B) I have not read all of the replies, however I think your problem lies with your testing proceedure. Most of the Smith and Wesson revolvers I have worked on have a lighter firing pin strike on double action than they do in single action as the hammer travel is slightly less. BTW they only way to go for light double action pull is FEDERAL primers. My Smiths vary from 5 3/4 to 6 1/2 pounds double action and are 100% with good ammo.

so Im thinking it was fine for single action with the heavy oil since single action fire has a longer throw on the hammer while double action has a shorter stroke.

Must have missed this the first time around...

Whack the hammer off that thing and make it DAO! B)...give in to the wheel.

Hopalong. You are too far away!!!. I am going to shoot Area one and, I just found out today that I have the time off, THE IRC!!!!! Maybe we can cross paths sometime in the future, especially if you ever visit the left coast.

Underlug,

I am afraid the left coast will turn into an Island so there for I am trying to AVOID it at all costs !!! ;););)

July------USPSA Nationals ?????

We need more Wheel shooters anyway !!!!! :angry:

Do have brother in Tuhunga,CA and Sister in Irvine,CA but they have lost their Minds and I don't associate with them anymore !!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOP

May Make Area-2 one of these days though !!!!