Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you know now..

ScottQ

Buy THE good stuff and end up saving a boatload of $$$$ in the long run.

I wish I would have done this the first time. I try to tell some new guys this but the overall cost seems to shy them away. So I loan them my old stuff that I don't use, let them use it for a while, and then let them try the good stuff.

Also, there was a post a while ago I think it was titled, "Everything we know about USPSA". I read that, actually studied it, and put it all into work and that really helped. A search will bring it up but I'm lazy.

Here's my bit. Shooting at my local match I could see a lot of improvements in my skills but it always seemed to be a buddy buddy thing. Shooting with friends is great. But going to other clubs where there is only one or two friends, really put the pressure on me and forces me to get better. Also you get to meet people and network.

JOe

It's funny, even when I bought the cheaper stuff, it was never so cheap that I was wanting for what I did have already. Sure a Sig 229 isn't as competitive as a double stack 1911 frame gun, but it sure beats something cheaper than that. Dad always told me to buy quality.

My first real duck gun was a 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster. I still have it too. He was always a Browning shooter so I followed in always purchasing quality when it came to firearms. I shot a Ruger GP100 for years and knew that it didn't have the best trigger, but it sure put up with a lot of hot ammo I fed it over the years. Now it mostly sits in the safe and I use my 686 and 610 for most of my revolver shooting. Can't beat those triggers.

Vince

• 4 months later...

I've learned never to bring any untested piece of equipment (gun/ammo/holster) to a match. First time using a CR-Speed holster -- DQ.

As I come up on my first year, I'm also damn glad I got some decent instruction recently. It's like anything else: sure there's the guy with the funky swing at the club who shoots in the 70's, or this other dude with some killer licks, that hold the guitar kinda horizontal....But. I *thought* my grip was good....Wrong.

Scott, your in georgia.. contact dave at sevignyperformance.com and get a class from him... he is one of the best shooters and smartest shooters i know. he has given me tips that so greatly increased my scores. also www.maxmichel.com max and travis are awesome shooters and the most positive instructors i've ever met. soooo unlike the drill sargents I'm used to.

1. get your points before time

2. have fun, if it's not fun you won't do it

3. pick one gun, and set of gear to do EVERYTHING with live with it don't pick up another gun until goals are met. it takes a full season just to get used to equipment on a top level. wish i had stayed with what i knew 2 years ago i'd have made master much faster.

I agree better shooting friends and the like are GREAT very important to ahve around for every day motivation, but if you can afford it (save up for it, etc) without putting a major cramp in your life. hire a professional instructor, someone who is master or above, ask to observe a class. or part of it. if they aren't a good teacher forget it. Teaching ability and an eye for others mistakes is AS or MORE important than thatGM card with a national title.

What Shred said:

Skill gained now will be there tomorrow. Skill gained tomorrow won't be there now.

It's not about the shooting, it's about the people and the fun.. behave accordingly.

What Steve said:

1. get your points before time

2. have fun, if it's not fun you won't do it

3. pick one gun, and set of gear to do EVERYTHING with live with it don't pick up another gun until goals are met. it takes a full season just to get used to equipment on a top level. wish i had stayed with what i knew 2 years ago i'd have made master much faster.

1. Learn everything you can about your shooting style and correct the problems/weak

points.

2. Don't be afraid to experiment with new ideas. They may not all work but there may be

something you can pull out and use.

3. Listen to what everyone has to say. Later, try it out and see if it works for you.

4. Hard techniques suck but learn how to do them anyway..you never know when those

skills might come in handy.

5. Good instructors don't teach you how to shoot; they teach you how to teach yourself, all

the rest take your money.

And party after the match. Shooting with a hangover / no sleep does not improve your performance.