Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Several of my "aha!" moments

jerryz

I could write a book on match screw ups, but, here are a couple of highlights:

- at a major event, I was doing my first walkthrough. The last target, paper, was completely behind a barricade, literally, arms length behind the wall, and low. It was a simple reach around the wall and press the trigger -- won't even need the sights. The RO's were in a tizzy because the shots from the previous squad were blowing the pasters off the target so they were trying to fix the problem. I gave them space to work out their problems and never actually walked all the way to the very last target, figuring that I did not really need to practice that last, very easy, shot. Well, when I ran the course, I was certainly shocked to see that the final setup included a no-shoot covering 2/3 of the last target, as I jammed my arm around the wall and double tapped it. Note to self: actually see every target after the stage is completely set and ready, even the "easy" shots.

- Shooting single stack, major, 32 shot course, 4 positions of 8 shots each, unloaded barrel start, and all mags on barrels along the way. Seemed simple enough until my very first round would not go into battery, My instinctive tap-rack-bang sent one of my 8 live rounds over my shoulder. I was now stuck with 7 shots - slide lock - reload - 1 shot - move, rinse and repeat. Believing that all those things that go without saying should just be said: put out way more mags than you need on the course. It won't cost a thing.

- Also on that subject, being conditioned to think in groups of 8 shots, I learned the hard way to adjust my stage breakdown for an unloaded start. First, if you have to shoot 8 shots, plan on dealing with that slide lock. It's quicker when it's planned than when it's a surprise. Also, if possible, try to get a group of shots <8 as soon in the stage as possible to take advantage of leaving one in the tube on a reload. I had a stage that started unloaded. The first position just had to be 8 shots. I planned on the slide lock. But, then moving down a hallway, I had 8 shots left and 4 right. It was easier and quicker to take the 8 left (esp being right handed) but, after I ran it, I realized that taking the 4 right would have been a big advantage making the rest of the course a lot smoother by leaving one in the tube.

- Shooting a major match, things were going badly after lunch. I almost never hit the NS, and had none early in the day, but, I had a run of 7 of them that afternoon. Seemed to be getting worse as the day went on. All the shots were just a couple inches below the very top. I could not believe that I was pulling so many shots low. I figured it was just an evil flinch. Ruined my match. When I got home and went to clean my gun, I found the sight screw was loose to the point where I don't know why it didn't fall out. Tightening it up, my point of impact raised about 2" in 10 feet. Yeah. Wish I thought about that earlier. Maybe make it a point to check your equipment as the day progresses.

Most likely 95% of the people reading this post already figured this out, but, here's to the rest of us. ;)

This my first year competing - USPSA single stack. I'm making mistakes as fast as I can. Thanks for sharing!

First year period or first year in SS? One is just a learning curve the other is a very steep learning curve.

• 1 month later...