Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic scale

Flyin40

Most all electronic scales have one big caution. Don't drop items to be weighed on the pan, place them there. Electronic scales use strain gauges or load cells as the measuring element and while they can stand a pretty good load on them (well in excess of what they measure) they cannot take a shock load, especially on a repeated basis.

Also, avoid wind across your scale and vibration in your workbench.

FWIW

dj

Flyin40, I just bought the same scale several weeks ago. I can't believe it took me this long to buy one. It makes the reloading process so much quicker.

And since it is a Dillon product I suspect I will get many years of good service from it.

The one thing I did not buy is the cover for it. My loading room is a fairly clean environment but I imagine dust could effect the accuracy of the scale. I think I will order the cover from Dillon next time I put an order in, which seams to be a weekly thing lately:)

Good luck with that scale

Dave

The radio transmissions from the phone affect the circuits in the scale. It drives my Dillon scale nuts-- it'll vary up and down by several grains and never zero consistently. Remove the phone from the area or stop using it and all is well.

A cell phone??

seriously?

Why?

Dave

You are measuring changes on the order of millivolts/microvolts. It doesn't take much RF induced current at all to alter the readings at such tiny levels and the RF output of cellphones is actually very intense. In order to save money, consumer-grade scales have little to no RF shielding to protect against this. Thus, you, the user must take precautions.

And before anybody starts going off on a tirade on Dillon for taking shortcuts, keep in mind that the next step up in scales starts at $1K. It's the nature of the beast, without which the $140 scale with $1K scale precision would not exist.

• 1 month later...
definitely let me know how that works for you, for 60 bucks i might finally break down and replace my ancient lyman beam scale.

alan

alan,

sure thing. it should be here in Manila within the next two weeks. As a backgrounder on the vaunted HBM sensors, check out this link

HBM

• 4 weeks later...

The electronic scales work great for sorting components ie brass and bullets. I use it for my benchrest and varmint shooting ammo. The run of the mill electronic scale has an accuracy of + or - .1 of a grain.. That is a lot in some of my rifles and even more so in a pistol cartridge... Your extreme spread can be as much as .2 grains. A 10-10 balance beam is always good to have to check your measurements on your electronic. I have a Denver Instruments electronic scale that measures to within .01 grains or .001 grains. I can't remember which. I use it to weigh all of my charges in my br rifles...

hi guys,

The Durascale 50 is worth the money. When it arrived, I noticed it was made in China (not surprising for its price). But it gives out accurate readings especially when compared to the beamscale. All 3 of us who ordered are very satisfied. :D