Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I love how shooting has influenced my life.

elbandito

First off, I would like to thank all of those who have built this forum up to what is it now. It is hands down the most positive shooting related forum I have ever came accross. I have recieved a very warm welcome, and find that this fine group of shooters are more about what we have in common, than looking at eachother like we are just competition. The openness and friendly comradery shines through in almost every thread.

As a shooter, I am still quite fresh as I have only owner guns for the past 7 years. Growing up my father was a hunter who always stressed the importance of a strong moral charecter and ensure that each shot was ethical and for a purpose. I was always aware of how to be safe around them, and thought of them as tools that needed to be respected instead of a weapon. As a teen I was quite isolated in my own little world, focusing on books and computers, and was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.

As I got older, I wanted to have more in common with my Dad, as I am a far cry from the outdoorsman he is and much more of a computer nerd. So I took my courses, got my license and got into target shooting.

The countless hours I have got to spend with him shooting, talking about shooting, reloading... mean the world to me. These are some great memories I will have forever, and I know he has enjoyed it too.

As someone who with anxiety, I had really limited my contact with people. I work in a job that lets me be alone and go weeks without having to actually see another person. With the exception of my wonderful girlfriend and my family, I had pretty much made myself go off the radar of the world.

I started adventuring out to the range by myself more often to push my comfort limits, and to make myself get out the house and more importantly, out of my own head.

I had seen a few videos for various pistol competitions, but never had imagined actually competing. Til I saw a frequent poster on one of the gun forums post his own hat cam video. The rush of it made me instantly start wondering if I could do that. It looked like FUN. So I sought out a black badge course, and after a few friendly emails with the instructor signed up. My 3rd match is this upcoming weekend, and I am really excited. I am currently a D class shooter, but will be C in no time. My last match I had a bad mental day, and it really tanked my preformance, but with some good advice and a few friendly see you next time's, I knew this was something I was going to be doing again.

Now that I have this hobby/passion/obsession, it has made a huge impact in many aspects of my life. I am a member of a few online communities about shooting, and am growing more confident in my knoweldge which feels great. Through shooting my rifle before I had a pistol, I found a immense sense of calm and clearity in focusing on the target. The breathing technique, and concentration made the world get a little quieter and the pride I feel for each good shot, is astounding.

After taking my BB course, and attending my first match, shooting infront of all those strangers seemed relatively easy, (which is a pretty big thing for someone who hadnt stepped foot into a mall for 4 years)

With the confidence I have gained, I am taking college courses for the first time in my life, and well on my way to becoming a drafter. My final project for my last course was a design challenge, so I drew a adapter to let standard bi-pods accept claw feet. Got myself an 92% :D

Shooting has truly help me, but not nearly as much as the communities I have found because of it. I am still the quiet guy at matches, and I won't be winning any titles anytime soon, but I will forever be thankful for all I have gained by getting into it. Though I still take my medication to help, my anxiety is much more managable, and my general health and well being have greatly improved.

For my homework tonight I am designing and drawing a IPSC challenge coin, and I am considering trying my hand at designing a few stages for my local qualifiers and submitting them.

I truly look forward to seeing everyone at the upcoming matches, and hope to get to travel for a shoot in the States next year.

Shoot Safe, Have fun, and find the peace in your life.

Brad

Welcome aboard, from a current Floridian, but a one-time resident of Edmonton. :cheers:

Inspired by your story - very happy that shooting has played such a tremendous

role in your life.

Sounds vaguely familiar - guess I have had some of the same issues, and you're

correct - the shooting has definitely helped me also.

Thanks for the posting.

What rifle and pistol are you shooting?

Brad, that's awesome, and your story made me think on how much shooting has affected and changed my life as well.

Thanks Vlad!

Welcome aboard, from a current Floridian, but a one-time resident of Edmonton. :cheers:

Inspired by your story - very happy that shooting has played such a tremendous

role in your life.

Sounds vaguely familiar - guess I have had some of the same issues, and you're

correct - the shooting has definitely helped me also.

Thanks for the posting.

What rifle and pistol are you shooting?

Thank you!

I shoot a gen 2 glock 17 in production, and my go to target rifle is a savage 223 that has been my pet project for about 2 years now.

If you ever travel back up here, be sure to let me know, would be great to share a range with you!

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution elbandito.

In addition to the lifestyle improvements you described, the lessons I learned, while training and competing, have profoundly and positively affected my every day life. Stay sharp and stick with it!

:cheers: