Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does anyone shoot a PPQ in USPSA?

Vincerama

I've been shooting one (the 5" M2) and I really like it! Mostly I enjoy the ease of ejecting magazines and that the mags fly out. No shaking of the pistol. It's pretty accurate and Glock like in reliability, and of course excellent trigger.

However, they don't seem to be very popular. I know people say "Oh, the muzzle flip", but ... that's not a concern (to me), but I can see that might scare people away from trying it.

Anyway, wondering if anyone else shoots one besides me. I did see a VP9 at one match.

I do. I see a lot the HK P30/VP9 occasionally, but I don't mind being the only PPQ :)

Trying some 18 round mags this weekend, to see how they work.

Waiting patiently for Taylor-Freelance to come out with their +5 extensions so I can have 20 rounds.

James

LOL, I'm in California, and shooting production anyway, so nothing more than 10 rounders! But I find the mag release (M2 standard US button release) is excellent. The mags don't just fall free, they fly out. Last weekend I watched as several Glock and CZ shooters had to shake their mags out. CZ was a mystery because mine fall out too (with flat magazine brake, which the shooter had in his CA), but the Glocks seemed to stick more. I guess it's a plus that the PPQ grip is fairly short, so the mag well with my ham-fists starts right at where my hand is and makes reloading a snap.

I have other gamier guns, but I sort of like being an odd duck with the PPQ. I don't understand why it's not more popular in USPSA. Maybe "muzzle flip" rumours or something. Anyway, it's a fun gun, I like it and I'll see how far it takes me!

I ran the 4" for about a year.

Great gun, I like it out of the box a heck of a lot better than just about any of the other comparable polymer/striker fired guns. I put on a set of Dawson sights, and it was a great gun to use. I have absolutely no doubt that a talented shooter could run a 4" or a 5" pretty darn well could easily earn a M or GM. It's the Indian, not the arrow right? The catch is that I think to do that you'd have to work a little harder, and you'd have less "flaws" hidden by the gun.

The reality though is that people like to customize their guns to some degree at least, and Walther just does not have a ton of options in terms of aftermarket support. While the trigger is better out of the box than other polymer's, it isn't nearly as good as a trigger job on a CZ, or better comparisons, one done on an XDM, or even one on a Glock. I left the PPQ for a CZ and never really looked back, the steel gun, built out was significantly more expensive, but was also, for me a much easier gun to run well. That said, I think the PPQ is plenty shootable, and I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone who is looking to get started, or wants to stay in the polymer guns.

• 3 weeks later...

Apex is coming out with a PPQ trigger that is supposed to be the cat's meow.

That, some Dawson sights, and maybe tweaking the recoil spring to your load and it should run like a champ.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I picked up a 4 inch PPQ M2 last week. The ergonomics take a little getting used to and the trigger is fantastic, but it shoots about 5" high for me at 7yds. I don't think I want to devote the time or money to replacing the sights, so I think I'm going to let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be shooting the PPQ at Production Nationals this year. I like it, a lot. Get the 17 round factory 9 mm mags, as they have a slightly beefier base pad.

I just posted a new thread, I found that Springer Precision (google it) now makes baspads for the PPQ mags.

I picked up a PPQ last year and I've been shooting it ever since. Overall, solid gun and it is easier for me to shoot than my old G19. The downside is the lack of time to practice this year, so I'm just sucking so hard this season.

I'm considering picking up a 5" to see how it runs.

I'm running the 5", pretty good. I like it, it's extremely reliable. I need to load my rounds short OAL of 1.060 (!!)

Dawson sights.

I also suck, but I like that the gun runs well so I can feel confident that all the sucking is my fault.

I do. I see a lot the HK P30/VP9 occasionally, but I don't mind being the only PPQ :)

Trying some 18 round mags this weekend, to see how they work.

Waiting patiently for Taylor-Freelance to come out with their +5 extensions so I can have 20 rounds.

James

Is that all they can fit in a 140mm?