Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

77gr SMK - How Far Off of the Lands?

dbletap_ed

I have a good quantity of .224 SMK 77gr bullets which I did not have great luck with in my JP rifle. The groups were not bad but not as good as SMK 69gr bullets. Since I have the 77's I thought why not try loading them longer than mag length to see what happens. (Yes, I know I will have to single load them) The question is what is a good starting point for how far off of the lands to start?

Note I will use a Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth Tool to find the OAL for the bullet touching the lands.

Thanks

Ed

With bolt rifles I've always loaded to a known safe powder charge far below max. Then I seat 5 bullets each as follows. .020 from the lands, .015 from the lands, .010 from the lands, .050 from the lands, touching the lands, .050 into the lands, .010 into the lands, .015 into the lands, .020 into the lands. Once you have the seating depth that works best for that bullet, THEN you work up your powder charge and find the most accurate load without pressure signs based on that seating depth.

Ed, I'm going to be playing with loading off the lands shortly but will be using some borrowed tools to get measurements off the ogive.

This video was helpful, when it's not bogged down,

Here's another one showing how bullet lengths can vary greatly and explain why COL can be so different using the same bullet.

For sure I won't be loading down into the lands with my AR.

Once, while shooting bench rest, they had to call a cease fire during the match and when the guy next to me pulled his cartridge the bullet was stuck in the barrel with powder all over the place. That guy then too had a problem that needed to be corrected.

I'd be interested in how far off the lands works with those 77gr.

A 77 SMK is not even close to a VLD bullet. It has a relatively high BC but its not a VLD bullet. On a similar line I have loaded and shot some 77 TMKs and you have to seat them deeper in the case and they jump and shoot just fine.

• 1 month later...

I finally loaded up two loads with the 77 SMK's 0.01 and 0.02 off of the lands. The load 0.01 off of grouped at 0.6" and the 0.02 off of the lands grouped at 0.75". Both are much better than the 77's loaded at mag length. However, at best only as good as the 69 SMK's at mag length on an average day.

I loaded 77 TMKs to 2.482 OAL. Shot 5 rounds touching, 0,4" at 100.

Before this, none of my 77 loads shot tighter than 69 SMKs.

Exactly what caliber and what type of gun are you able to use 2.482" OAL?

5.56 AR. Isn't that what this thread's about?

I thought so until you posted that you loaded "77 TMKs to 2.482 OAL", I have never heard of any 77g bullets loaded to 2.482 in .223/5.56. I have heard of 80g bullets loaded this long and fed individually/manually as they won't fit in the magazine.

If you reread the OP, he was talking about loading 77s longer than mag length.

The TMKs just came out a few months ago. Wait a bit. Others will start loading them long too.

Apparently, reading is still fundamental, I completely overlooked the sentence wanting to load longer than mag length by the OP. My apologies and carry on.

Bushmeat just wondering what barrel you are using. I had not given my OAL but it was 2.373 to be off of the lands 0.01 in my JP barrel. Again with SMK's not the new TMK's.

My SPR is a 5.56 which has a longer throat than .223 or Wylde. Also bear in mind the TMK is slightly longer with a different ogive. The base is in about mid-shoulder and I get 2800 fps wth just a slightly flat primer and no marks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have shot some of the 77 TMKs loaded to mag length. The BC of this bullet is about .420 which is the same as the sierra 80. Provided you are going to load long then you are better off looking at another bullet like the sierra 80 or some of the other real slick bullets like the Bergers or the JLKs. The advantage the 77 TMK provides is that you can load a .420 BC bullet to magazine length. I suspect that loading a 77 TMK long will yeild little real advantage over a mag length bullet under an objective 10 round test. You will be able to fit more powder in the case and get slightly higher velocity. This bullet was designed for mag length, load and shoot them that way and be happy. So far they have shot well in several rifles and all i did was swap out bullets.