Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tumbling bayou 147s

tcazes

tested some more today. dropped the charge down to 2.8 grns and absolutely no tumbling. 2.9 i had one tumble out of 100 and 3.0 i had a couple out of 100. so. seems like. i was just pushing them too hard! 2.8 is soft as cotton balls and straight shooting as can be.

• 1 year later...

I had the same tumbling issue with 147 grain bayous and between 3.1 and 3.3 grains of vvn310. 1.110 COL out of a tanfo Stock II and Limited Pro. Increasing the load on n310 did not solve the issue. Tumbling did not occur with Zero 147 JHP's. I switched to n320 and there are no tumbling issues to speak of with the Bayou's. 147's with N310 is a softer load than the same with N320. I may try 135's with n320 when my 147's run out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't know much about tumbling/keyholing issues w/ reloaded ammo...I didn't even know this could be an issue.  But upon reading the OP, you mentioned that the tumbling ceases the dirtier your barrel gets.  Have you slugged your barrel for the best bullet diameter for your barrel?  

On 9/7/2016 at 1:49 PM, MissionaryMike said:

I don't know much about tumbling/keyholing issues w/ reloaded ammo...I didn't even know this could be an issue.  But upon reading the OP, you mentioned that the tumbling ceases the dirtier your barrel gets.  Have you slugged your barrel for the best bullet diameter for your barrel?  

I was wondering the same thing that MissionaryMike has stated about the problem ceases with a dirty barrel . Every time I have had tumbling issues with 147 gr. coated or especially 147 plated bullets it was due to bullet getting sized down during reloading either by having too much crimp or seating the bullet too far into the case (into the thick part of case wall) and I have also had problems using a Lee Factory Crimp die sizing the bullet down but usually my problem was seating a bullet too deep for a short throated chamber like a CZ chamber. In every case I've had with tumbling 147 bullets it was a bullet having too small a diameter.

Keyholing pistol bullets has nothing to do with the twist rate.

The vast majority of the time, coated (poly, moly, copper, etc.) bullets are tumbling due to the damage of the coating.  This can occur, as others have mentioned, due to damage of the plating due to insufficient case belling or over crimping during reload.  With some load recipes and some barrels, the coating can be damaged making the jump to the rifling, and in others, it just peels off due due to too much pressure at the base or too much velocity at the ogive.  All of them have solutions, but you need to know what is causing the problem.

Since it goes away when the barrel is fouled, it is likely not due to the reloading or too much velocity.  It therefore could be due to the jump, or pressure spike. Seeing as how it is N310, I would start there.  Go to a slower powder, a longer OAL or a reduced charge and see if you can get the tumbling to subside.  Sometimes, the combination of factors just says "no" to a particular recipe.  

• 11 months later...

I was having the same tumbling issues with VV N310. Shooting Tanfoglio Lim Pro. I tried different grain weights from 3.0 to 3.4. With a 147 gr Bayou coated, and 147 Xtreme plated IIRC. I had the same issue in both my my primary and backup guns. I switched to VV N320 and no more tumbling. Maybe the n310 has too fast of a burn rate. Plus there isn't a published load for VV n310 and a 147 gr bullet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk