Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not enjoying open as much as I thought I would

wblacksh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: One thing I noticed was you seem to can't the gun on some stages and shots (camera angle?). I also noticed that the Dawson magwell is canting your right hand out some so you are not getting full contact on the grip with that hand. Other than that you seem to shoot it well and need to trust the dot like most of us have gone through or still going through. Shooting an open gun does take time to learn and enjoy but once you do it will make you smile every time you shoot it. Thanks, Eric

Hello: One thing I noticed was you seem to can't the gun on some stages and shots (camera angle?). I also noticed that the Dawson magwell is canting your right hand out some so you are not getting full contact on the grip with that hand. Other than that you seem to shoot it well and need to trust the dot like most of us have gone through or still going through. Shooting an open gun does take time to learn and enjoy but once you do it will make you smile every time you shoot it. Thanks, Eric

Are you talking about the gun not being aligned mor with my right hand? I am right handed but left eye dominant. That may be why. Is that what you are talking about?

Hello: I did notice the left eye being your dominant eye. But the gun is sometimes canted in the video or turned slightly to the left. That will cause the shots not to go where the dot is pointed because of the offset of the scope mount. You have to try to keep the gun vertical even if you are shooting with your non dominant eye. It may just be the camera angle but just something to think about. Thanks, Eric

I read in the forum on how to improve eye dominance. Done posts recommended putting tape on the non-dominant eye lens. I put a little dawn dish soap on my left lens to make it very slightly blurry and did dry fire practice for two weeks every day. I was having a lot of problems "finding my dot". After the dawn trick I have made dramatic improvement.

I have an SJC G17 that I've shot in 8 or 9 USPSA matches over the last 4 or 5 months. Last weekend, on the second to last stage, I actually enjoyed it, and found the dot without any problem. Before that I was constantly searching for it. I had a 4.2 HF on that stage, which was an epiphany to me. I'll keep on going with it; it's not at all like shooting irons! I also have to up the rest of my game. Open makes you have everything working well, not just adequately. Hang in there!