Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alignment issues with the RCBS 3 way cutter

jayjay1

Hello folks,

I´m using the RCBS 3 way cutter for .223 and some .30 calibers on a RCBS Trim Pro 2.

I could kick my ass, that I didn´t buy it earlier, for making the trimming process so much easier and faster.

BUT, most of the cases are not trimmed symmetric.

On one side of the cases still is a burr and on the opposite side, there is more material taken off.

I think, that the cases are not sitting properly aligned with the toolhead or are sitting in a light angle?

Has anyone had the same problems or am I doing something wrong here?

Begging for help.

:cheers:

Yup. I've had that issue. There is a spring that puts pressure on the faceplate which holds the case in place. When the spring weakens the case will move and you get an uneven cut. RCBS will send you a new spring but I have gotten into the habit of pushing down on the case when trim to keep it aligned and straight. The other thing that can help is to make sure the blades are sharp as that will reduce the chance of the blades grabbing the case mouth. They will also replace those two if the get dull prematurely.

I took a closer look after your post, the spring is still very strong, so I searched further.

The cases were fixed upwards in the shell holder.

So I dismounted the complete shell holder unit and filed the bedding at the front end a bit downwards with a halfround file, checked the alignment and did file a tad more (material is very weak).

That was it.

Cases go flush into the trimmer now, problem solved.

Thank you for your input.

I bought this thing. It was a waste of money. I could not get it aligned to trim/chamfer/deburr symmetrically just like you. I emailed their customer service who said it was not set up correctly and they sent me the same setup instructions that came with it and I had already followed.

I did some searching online and found out that I was not the only person with the same issue.

It's a piece of junk and I wish I had returned it for a refund when I first had the issue.

Edited to add: I'm not inclined to get a file out to fix someone else's junk.

Edited by darkvibe

Well, yes, normally stuff you buy should do what it´s sold for.

But me, not having the money for a Giraud or a Dillon 1200, was looking for an alternative.

And if it runs ok, you safe a lot of time, really a lot.

I have recently started using this trimmer and it certainly does save a bunch of time. My unit, despite the instructions saying it was setup for the factory, did require adjusting. Not too much but it took me a little while to find the set screw for adjusting the pilot depth.

I haven't had any issues with uneven trimming but my trimmer is still fairly new overall.

As a side question, Dirty Rod mentioned rcbs will replace the cutters if they dull prematurely. What is considered premature for the regular cutter vs the carbide cutter?

As a side question, Dirty Rod mentioned rcbs will replace the cutters if they dull prematurely. What is considered premature for the regular cutter vs the carbide cutter?

I don't know if there is an actual number. Both of the carbide blades they exchanged for me had under 10k cuts. The first I just mentioned in passing while I was getting the replacement spring mentioned above so he tossed it in the box. On the second, I called to ask how long they should last and the guy told me longer than the year I had owned it and sent me another.

• 1 month later...

Nope. I adjusted mine a little, but it works great and I wouldn't trade it for anything. People only complain when they have something to complain about ;/)

I bought the RCBS three way cutter. in .223 and 30 cal. Mine worked great. Set it up right out of the box good to go. Seems I might be the minority.

HotRod