Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nitro 100NF for 9mm?

Olympus

Has anyone ever used this or have any experience? I'm in the process of loading a big batch of bulk 9mm that I load very light. I'm about to run out of powder and Nitro 100NF is the only thing I can get my hands on.

I'm currently loading 3.8gr of Bullseye with 124gr Berry's RN at 1.145 OAL. This is a very gentle load and I'd like to know if I can replicate the results with Nitro 100NF. I have found load data on the Accurate website and it seems to be at least usable for my needs. Just wanting to get some opinions and experience before I pull the trigger on purchase. $20/bottle shipped for 10lbs.

I've been using it for over a year. Meters great. Price is good. I've been using 3.3 grains with 135 Bayou (9MM) Bullets with 1.125 OAL for my practice loads. It falls just a little short of power factor for match loads so I'm in the process of testing hotter loadings. All the NF (new formulation) containers say NOT for pistol loads. This is old information. I spoke with one of their engineers and he confirmed anything labeled new formula is fine for pistol rounds with their published data.

I've been using it for over a year. Meters great. Price is good. I've been using 3.3 grains with 135 Bayou (9MM) Bullets with 1.125 OAL for my practice loads. It falls just a little short of power factor for match loads so I'm in the process of testing hotter loadings. All the NF (new formulation) containers say NOT for pistol loads. This is old information. I spoke with one of their engineers and he confirmed anything labeled new formula is fine for pistol rounds with their published data.

Good to know because it pops available fairly frequently....

It's not going to get you to minor PF within standard pressures. And don't trust primers. Trying to read primers for overpressure signs with pistols is only slightly more reliable than trying to read chicken bones.

I'm using it for production. It's awesome. I'm using with 124g and make minor power factor easily. Using Glock 17 and Sig p226. If you want I'll get you the exact grains. Memory says 3.6g with cci primers. 1.145 oal. But not 100% sure.

What makes you think there not?

The fact that Accurate Arm's load data has no 124gr bullets getting close to 125PF within standard pressure makes me think he's not getting to minor power factor within standard pressure. 958 is the highest velocity they got in any of their testing for 124gr, and that's not close to a 125 PF, much less the 128-130 you should be shooting for if you don't want to occasionally fail the chrono. In fact, the only bullet in their published data that would make power factor in standard pressures is 147 LC, and that just barely squeaks across with a 125PF at max load, which is hardly usable.

I think he's not making minor PF within standard pressures because the load data says he won't get close.

I haven't played with 124s so I don't know what it would take to make PF. Any published data is going to be conservative, but I feel that Accurate's load data is very conservative. If you compare their published data on their powders with Lyman's you'll find Lyman to substantially higher. I wouldn't go too crazy but I would feel ok if I was within 10% of Accurate's numbers. YMMV.

They have bumped up the starting and max loads, and there's still nothing in 124gr that makes 125PF. Looks like most 147 will, though. That's interesting. ;)

If you have nothing else; looks like a decent powder to pick up...