Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about open squadding and etiquette

FTDMFR

I hadn't thought about pre-registration, as we don't deal with that yet. That would make it easier with Practiscore. Everyone is on one giant "squad" and you just scroll to their name when they step up to shoot that stage.

How much help do you typically have to tear down at the end if people are bugging out as soon as they are done? I guess a paid setup staff like Chuck mentioned is one way to go, but it could be tough for an all-volunteer club. We are lucky enough to be able to setup the day before (in the mornings, when it's not so damn hot). But tear down is in the heat of the afternoon. Having each squad tear down their respective last stage is a great help then.

What I've seen with PractiScore is that people tend to migrate toward pre-registration because it cuts down on staff headaches (and I'm all for that). They may start out with open/walk-up squadding, but they eventually decide it just works better to pre-register.

The situation described here is more or less what I used to see at PASA shooting club matches. PASA isn't set up for PractiScore (or wasn't the last time I shot a club match there a couple of years ago), so people show up and basically form gaggle squads with buds, find an open stage and start shooting, picking up stages as they can/want to.

There's one knucklehead who usually showed up and just walked up to a squad and asked to shoot in with them, then walked off after he was done shooting to find another squad to walk up to. I objected to his practice because he did not help reset stages after other shooters very often, didn't reset the stage after he shot (he walked around with the RO to verify scoring), and didn't stick with one squad. He basically used everyone else as his range bitches and shot the match as quickly as possible, then left. I decided after being burned by him twice with this that I would never RO him for a stage unless he agreed to join and stick with our squad.

What is surprising is that people are still using paper. I guess open squading has to as doing it in practiscore would be a pain

We are going to find out on Sunday :goof: Practiscore day one....
And it woke quite well! 106 shooters for a match that draws 70 normally. Very cool!

At my club we open-squad and anyone from a very experienced RO to a newbie can do RO duty. If you don't RO well someone will call you out on it. I stay busy resetting steel, helping to score, taping, picking up brass, running the clipboard, RO'ing, or shooting. Between stages I refill mags, take a swig of water and eat a fig newton, then walk to a stage I haven't shot and give my scorecard to the clipboard guy. I and most others around me just do what we think any decent club member should do and it works well.