Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picked up a VP9

Bryan 45

I put about 100 rounds through it to check POI and function a week ago and then shot a 3 gun match with it this past weekend. I'm digging it! Trigger is just a little heavy, but is getting smoother. Although I don't like the factory sights, I had no problem hitting steel plates and a Texas Star with it. I already think I'm shooting it better than my Glock 19 carry gun.

Dawson sights were installed today. I'm going to put a few more rounds through it before I spend the money on some Springer Precision extensions, but so far I like this pistol. I wish the barrel was longer, but with the new Dawson Sights, the sight radius is only about 1/4" shorter than a 1911 Government Model, so it's very shootable.

Check out the Taylor Freelance extensions. They are +5, while I thought the Springers were +4.

TF also has magwells for the VP9.

Great gun.

Take a look at HKParts.net for the VP9 ultra spring set if you want to decrease the trigger pull weight a bit. I put 5000+ rounds through the gun, then installed the lighter TRS from that spring set, so the trigger is at about 4.5lbs I think.

I've also got Dawsons on mine, and they were a big, immediate improvement for my eyes, as I don't like the factory sights that much.

I've run it since early last fall for 3gun. Been fun, although I wish it was a 5" barrel with a bit more weight up front, as I used to run a P30LS prior to the VP9 that shot a bit softer/settled better on recoil. Both are plenty accurate for what 3gunners do.

I know the TF will hold one more, but I like the aesthetics of the Springer better. I may wait just a bit to see if TTI comes out with one.

I bought the spring kit from HKParts, I just haven't put it in yet.

I also have a P30LS- but I have never cared for the LEM trigger, so I've not shot it that much. Last time I shot it might have been the first Rockcastle Pro-Am. That was only..... 4 years ago??? I won the P30L at the very last Ft Benning 3 Gun, so it holds a special place in the trophy room. Ha ha.

After dry firing with these new sights, I think it's a winner! So much improved over the factory 3 dot sights.

Edited by Bryan 45

Not sure I would hold my breath on TTI coming out with one, although there was some scuttlebutt on their FB that one of their other basepads fit the P30/VP9 mags.......I'd have to dig back as I *think* it was the M&P ones, but don't recall entirely and how well they worked out for the person trying them.

I only put the TRS in from the kit.....didn't feel like going through the work to put in the sear spring, as I was switching platforms anyway. Even just the TRS is a nice simple reduction that feels good. They did a nice job on the VP9 trigger, when I picked it up, I made an immediate transition from the "L" to the VP9.

The LEM definitely took me some time to get used to, with the long reset being the annoying part, but I got solid with it and had Gray Guns do their competition package on it. Even then, the reset length only comes down to what the stock VP9 reset length is, so that tells you the semi-disappointment of the P30 series trigger. The P30L with a VP9 trigger or even the HK45C trigger would be pretty damn awesome.

Agree, the factory sights were especially annoying for long steel as I couldn't deal with the rounded edges that well -> the sharp, clear edges of the Dawsons are so much better!

I agree on the aesthetics of the Springer extensions. They look great. For me, though, they are effectively a +3 because the mag will not seat on a closed slide when loaded to 19. That fourth extra round is REALLY difficult to cram into the mag, too. YMMV

I also agree on the sight radius. I am definitely in for a VP9L if they ever make one.

Edited by RSDelta

Although I don't like the factory sights, I had no problem hitting steel plates and a Texas Star with it... it's very shootable.

It is VERY shootable. There something in the ergonomics between this pistol and my hand that allow me to break the trigger very cleanly, despite the heavier-than-I-would-like trigger break. I have also had a couple of newish shooters say after one mag that they're shooting it better than the few other pistols they've tried. With new shooters, it's been nothing but instant believers. ;)

Well, our XDM pads work on VP9s with modding. With our pin design, we may not have enough clearance to clear the magwell. And if we put the pin in the back, you have to dremel the back strap to clear the pin. We're not going to ask you to drill into the gun to get things to work.

Is the reset weakened much by the spring kit? My reset sucks balls. Has a hitch in it that is very annoying. When going slow and deliberate firing I constantly get a false reset. If I go really really slow and smooth there is 2 "clicks" in the reset. I took it all down and tryed to polish up some stuff thinking it might be dragging or catching but it did nothing.

Is the reset weakened much by the spring kit? My reset sucks balls. Has a hitch in it that is very annoying. When going slow and deliberate firing I constantly get a false reset. If I go really really slow and smooth there is 2 "clicks" in the reset. I took it all down and tryed to polish up some stuff thinking it might be dragging or catching but it did nothing.

The reset is softened up a bit by the weaker TRS in the Ultra match set, but it is still very tactile and positive. The trigger pull weight is decreased by 1lb. I didn't change out the spring for the sear as I wanted to see how just the TRS change worked out.

Besides that comment, something is up with your reset. I should not have that other click/false reset. I've got my VP9 here with me at the moment, and it is smooth all the way out until the reset clicks over. Even with the factory TRS, there wasn't any 2nd click/false reset. 6,709 rounds through this particular gun. Only problem I've had with it was bulged reload ammo that wouldn't chamber, i.e. the gun has given me no trouble at all.

My reset is very tactile as well, with no hitch. Quite nice.

Just a thought, have you checked to make sure there's not some irregularity in the external trigger that is dragging in the groove in the trigger guard?

The reset on my VP9 is exactly how Luke205 described his, it does "suck balls". I ordered the spring kit for mine in the hopes that it might make the reset less annoying, I hope somebody has a solution.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Think I found what you guys are talking about:

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/207780-vp9-false-reset.html

What people are feeling is the cam re-engaging for the striker block just before the trigger is reset and it can fire again.........I think its good that the striker is blocked before the trigger is reset. That way if you want to stop shooting and release past the reset, the cocked striker is now blocked. By doing the process super slow, you can feel the systems engaging. The "false reset" is simply stopping the process in some micro place in the process between the striker block engagement and the reset point. The VP9 works different with the cam than other guns. Is it better than other systems......I don't know, its too early to tell. Is it different....yep. Does it feel different.....yep. Does the trigger feel different between the single simple spring used in the Glock firing system versus the complex spring used in the VP-9.....yep, and it isn't supposed to be removed like the Glock either. Know what, they won't fire out of battery either.

Messing around with it today, I took the striker out. Holy crap, this striker spring is heavy and long! I'm pretty sure there are a couple extra pounds on it, which would lower trigger weight a bit more. Has anyone else found a replacement for it?

Also, now that I have probably 250 rounds through it and another 300-500 dry-fires, I notice uneven wear on the sear and the striker. I'm thinking stoning these surfaces for more even contact would improve trigger pull a little more.

The striker is 100% cocked, so I'm not sure how much relief you would get for a lighter spring.

You also might want to wait and let the sear and striker wear a little more so that you don't end up stoning twice. ;)

Lol yes. About 7 training classes and a handful of compititions and about 2500 rounds of live fire practice and who knows how many dry fires.

And in that time of live fire, did you encounter a dead trigger?

If yes, send it back to HK, regardless if you've worked on it or not. They'll still work on it, but will call you to verify and/or discuss options if you've changed enough that they care.

If you're seen it only when you've induced the sucky reset by going super slow on the reset, how is that impacting you on the clock or under pressure?

I ask because I've used mine for over 6700 rounds, most of it in competition, and never encountered that dead trigger/false reset. Never in slow fire. Never in slow trigger control dryfire.

However, I was able to just induce it twice out of 20+ attempts by going extremely slow on the reset, having to use another finger to push against the trigger finger to go as slow as possible. In other words, it didn't happen unless I used the gun purposely differently than I actually use it.

Also I'm accustomed to riding the reset due to using a LEM trigger in competition exclusively prior to having a VP9 and doing so to minimize the crazy long reset of the P series.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, it would have- if I hadn't bought the sights from HKparts.net. I only got the sights from them because I also ordered the match sear and trigger return springs at the same time.

So, now I'm looking at shelling out $39.00 direct to Dawson for the sight. Not blaming anyone, but HKparts.net's page on the sights says the Dawson Perfect Impact policy applies. Even though Dawson's literature is pretty clear that it doesn't. And they told me that over the phone.

I may just live with it. That's still holding just top of plate at 20 yards for 5x5 steel.

And I was pretty regularly hitting a 10" flasher at 100 with it over the weekend, I don't think I want to mess with the mojo....

Edited by Bryan 45