Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 296 and light .223 load

mont1120

Has anyone tried using Win 296 in 55 grain FMJ .223 loads. I have been using IMR4227 for low recoil loads shooting 3 gun, but have run out and have 3 lbs of the 296 taking up space. I have used 296 in .30 carbine loads, but it will take some time before I would ever shoot that much.

Never heard of that application. Slow, magnum powder like 296 in a .223 case? My answer would be.... don't do it if you value something important, like your gun or parts of your anatomy Just sayin'..

With cast bullets and hand cycling, maybe. I have used pistol powders in cast rifle loads, but they were too light to cycle a gas operated weapon. What bullet weight/velocity are you getting with 4227? I don't think Hornet was loaded much above 45 gr.

Has anyone tried using Win 296 in 55 grain FMJ .223 loads. I have been using IMR4227 for low recoil loads shooting 3 gun, but have run out and have 3 lbs of the 296 taking up space. I have used 296 in .30 carbine loads, but it will take some time before I would ever shoot that much.

If you look in the Winchester reloading guide you will see a warning about light loads of slow burning ball powders. My old favorite slow burning Winchester powder 785 was discontinued due to detonation problems at lower loading levels.

If you want light loads Hodgdon's has loads for Trail Boss powder that will fill the case to capacity.

light practice .223 loads

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=light%20practice%20.223%20loads

The replies are pretty clear, so no way do I even want to chance wrecking a rifle or even coming close to. The 296 will be regulated to pistol magnum loads and its intended purposes. This is why forums like this are so valuable, it keeps many from making mistakes that should never had been tried.

On the 4227 load, I use Exteme 55 gr FMJ bullets, and get right around 2800 fps. That is with 15.2 grains. It runs my DPMS M4 perfectly. It really is like shooting a .22 magnum. Minimal recoil and I have yet to have a failure to eject or feed. Certainly it is my 3 gun round for short distances.

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, I would bet that it would work just fine. I've loaded a lot of rounds with H110 (identical to 296) and have more or less figured out it's limitations. The main thing I have noticed is very inconsistent ignition when loaded below 30,000 psi. Mainly noticed this in 454 Casull and 500 S&W with lighter weight bullets.

While not reduced loads, I have even loaded 458 Lott and 460 Weatherby with H110. Started with a QuickLOAD calculated 30,000 psi and worked up to 57,000 psi in the Lott and 83,000 psi in the Weatherby.

If I had a bolt gun to test it in I would try some 223 loads. Don't think I would want to start off in a semi auto though.

I've used 296 in 357 mag loads but never in .223. The Win. warning about not going below min. charges makes me real careful when I use that powder. Many other powders seem to work ok at lighter than min. charges but 296 gets my caution alert going.

Hodgdon does list Trail Boss, 4.0gr, Titegroup, 3.1gr and Clays, 3.2 as powders for .223 55gr bullets.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I've loaded a few with Clays and they did work to send the bullet down the barrel. Of course it didn't cycle the bolt but it was fun to see how low I could go with listed load data.

I've used 296 in 357 mag loads but never in .223. The Win. warning about not going below min. charges makes me real careful when I use that powder. Many other powders seem to work ok at lighter than min. charges but 296 gets my caution alert going.

Hodgdon does list Trail Boss, 4.0gr, Titegroup, 3.1gr and Clays, 3.2 as powders for .223 55gr bullets.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I've loaded a few with Clays and they did work to send the bullet down the barrel. Of course it didn't cycle the bolt but it was fun to see how low I could go with listed load data.

WOW I didn't know that. Not that it maters now as I have 8lbs of Varget on the shelf. I like Titegroup in my .40, a little gose a long way.