Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prairie Dog 6-120 Perfect Powder Flow Control for Dillon Powder Bars

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own 2 of the UniqueTek Micrometer Powder Bar Kits and wouldn't go without them. Two differences I see that would concern me with the Prairie Dogs, the knurled dial is plastic not metal, the end A-Corn cap nut rather than a machine screw in the UniqueTek.

I own both, and micrometer isn't really the term I'd use for either. Maybe that's why they prairie dog called it a "flow control." When reloading you really can't trust the numbers on uniqutek or prairie dog's micrometer. Still need to verify every load. What they both do do... is make adjusting your powder easier and lets you get back to prior settings quicker.

With that said, prairie dog's works just as well as the more expensive uniquetek, and (although incorrectly stated above), prairie dog's is not plastic, it's "A simple turn of the knurled thimble will move the anodized aluminum sleeve over the numbered stainless steel measuring spindle to the next graduation. " (direct from their website). And I can confirm the black part is aluminum with laser-etched numbers, and the other portion is steel with more laser-etched numbers.

The only thing else of note, is you must use RED lock-tight, to permanently attach to charge bar. Make sure you have the numbers on the steel part facing where you want them, ideally, facing you, when installed. Let the lock-tight set for 24-hours, per instructions... and it works great!

I own both, and micrometer isn't really the term I'd use for either. Maybe that's why they prairie dog called it a "flow control." When reloading you really can't trust the numbers on uniqutek or prairie dog's micrometer. Still need to verify every load. What they both do do... is make adjusting your powder easier and lets you get back to prior settings quicker.

With that said, prairie dog's works just as well as the more expensive uniquetek, and (although incorrectly stated above), prairie dog's is not plastic, it's "A simple turn of the knurled thimble will move the anodized aluminum sleeve over the numbered stainless steel measuring spindle to the next graduation. " (direct from their website). And I can confirm the black part is aluminum with laser-etched numbers, and the other portion is steel with more laser-etched numbers.

The only thing else of note, is you must use RED lock-tight, to permanently attach to charge bar. Make sure you have the numbers on the steel part facing where you want them, ideally, facing you, when installed. Let the lock-tight set for 24-hours, per instructions... and it works great!

I don't know about the Prairie Dog but I own the Uniqueteks and have done a spreadsheet for every powder I own and it's pretty dang consistent, providing you do your final adjustment clockwise.

$7.95 high? Not really when you consider shipping costs at $5.95 priority..... Oh, for some reason he has eBay shipping cheaper than thru his main web page. (10.95)

And he is paying eBay fees, go figure, buy thru eBay and save $3.

I ended up ordering one through ebay and will see how I like it. If I do, I will order another. I am going to have to get some red loc tite though, as I only have blue. Should have thought of that today when I was in town.

I installed the Prairie Dog today. I was only able to screw it in part way, but it looked like the picture they had. I am just not sure how it will work. I put the loc tite on it and left it sit. I will see if it works tomorrow.

I installed the Prairie Dog today. I was only able to screw it in part way, but it looked like the picture they had. I am just not sure how it will work. I put the loc tite on it and left it sit. I will see if it works tomorrow.

I wonder if the uniquetek excel form will work with this.

I wonder if the uniquetek excel form will work with this.

I don't see why it wouldn't. Nothing special about the Uniquetek spreadsheet; as long as the Prairie Dog adjustments are repeatable, then you can create a table of settings and charges and plot that and fit a line through the points on the plot, and then use the line's y-intercept and slope to determine setting for a desired charge, which is all the Uniquetek spreadsheet is doing.

Well, tried to install mine today and there must be a burr on the threads that goes into the powder gate, so it is a no go until I get that cleaned up. But, the UniqueTek one installed fine!!!

Well, tried to install mine today and there must be a burr on the threads that goes into the powder gate, so it is a no go until I get that cleaned up. But, the UniqueTek one installed fine!!!

I'm in the same boat... I even took the tiny little clip off and tried to thread it using the other end, but no dice. I contacted them through their website, I guess I get to find out about their customer service, should prove to be interesting.

Don't get red locktite on the shaft where you don't want it or you will likely destroy it.

Don't worry about trying to set a '0' position for 100% minimum position.

Do make sure the dial is aligned to you can read it easily after you red locktite it in.

Don't lose/break the tiny weak E-clips.

Don't be like me (that guy).

I'm in the same boat... I even took the tiny little clip off and tried to thread it using the other end, but no dice. I contacted them through their website, I guess I get to find out about their customer service, should prove to be interesting.

They got back to me with an RMA number. I almost tried the same thing, but I figured I would lose the C-clip!

They got back to me with an RMA number. I almost tried the same thing, but I figured I would lose the C-clip!

Yea, I talked to them a bit, appears they had a bad batch have a plating issue on the threaded part, they seem really good about RMA'

Only issue is that I had to pay to ship back, whereas Dillon, RCBS, etc would send me a new product with a return shipping label in it - certainly when they realized that they had a manufacturing issue...

I think I am sold on the UniqueTek one now, went in flawlessly and works great!

Edited by cwall64

• 2 weeks later...

I would warn anyone from ordering one of these got my RMA back with a new unit and same issue with the threads not fitting into the sliding bar. Go with the UniqueTek if you want this kind of tool, it is worth the extra money.

• 2 months later...

They replaced my first one that would not thread into the powder bar, the one they sent had the same issue. I told them the replacement had the same issue, so they said they would send another one when a new run came in. I received it a month or so later and never installed it... The UniqeTek one just works, so I had already ordered a second one of theirs!

To be honest, it might be cheaper to just get several different powder bars and leave them adjusted for specific powder and caliber!

Edited by cwall64