Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prairie Dog 6-120 Perfect Powder Flow Control for Dillon Powder Bars

OK, finally had some time to run it and see how it works.

My initial impression is very positive I even recommended it to a fellow shooter who messaged me up. I found the adjustments in the micrometer head to be very positive and tight. I like the laser engraved on shaft, no numbers to wear off. Just messing around it would hold +/- 0.2 grains which I thought would settle down once I got powder settled in the hopper.

Not so positive, after loading 200 rounds of 3.3gr of Clays, the checked powder throws varied from 3.22 to 3.46gr using a warmed up, calibrated, Gempro 250 digital scale. I checked it approximately 10 times during the run of ammo waiting for it to settle down, but this is too much for my taste. I put on a factory powder bar with the 1/4" bolt to use as my baseline. I have one factory powder bar that will hold .1 grain and I checked it again using the scale 3.27 to 3.35gr which is fine by me.

I think I found the cause. . . .there is about .010" of slop on the spindle where the threaded screw rides between the two E-clips. That translates to approximately 1/4-1/2 turn on the factory powder bar, hence why the powder charges varied so much. You can maybe see on the pic the gap between the clip and the threaded part.

I plan to contact the manufacturer tomorrow and see if they will offer a solution, however I have several ideas on how to "fix" it if they they offer no solutions.

I'll post when I have an update.

Jeff

post-13836-0-50627600-1444102291_thumb.j

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally had some time to run it and see how it works.

My initial impression is very positive I even recommended it to a fellow shooter who messaged me up. I found the adjustments in the micrometer head to be very positive and tight. I like the laser engraved on shaft, no numbers to wear off. Just messing around it would hold +/- 0.2 grains which I thought would settle down once I got powder settled in the hopper.

Not so positive, after loading 200 rounds of 3.3gr of Clays, the checked powder throws varied from 3.22 to 3.46gr using a warmed up, calibrated, Gempro 250 digital scale. I checked it approximately 10 times during the run of ammo waiting for it to settle down, but this is too much for my taste. I put on a factory powder bar with the 1/4" bolt to use as my baseline. I have one factory powder bar that will hold .1 grain and I checked it again using the scale 3.27 to 3.35gr which is fine by me.

I think I found the cause. . . .there is about .010" of slop on the spindle where the threaded screw rides between the two E-clips. That translates to approximately 1/4-1/2 turn on the factory powder bar, hence why the powder charges varied so much. You can maybe see on the pic the gap between the clip and the threaded part.

I plan to contact the manufacturer tomorrow and see if they will offer a solution, however I have several ideas on how to "fix" it if they they offer no solutions.

I'll post when I have an update.

Jeff

That can be shimmed.

I have contacted both companies regarding their micrometer-like powder devices. Only the one selling the Prairie Dog 6-120 responded. That tells me something.

I am seriously considering the Prairie Dog 6-120, the other one doesn't impress me double the price worth.

I forgot to finish the story, I called them and they paid for me to ship it back to them for inspection and or repair. They shipped it back to me back within a week of receiving it with a new threaded part installed between the two E-clips. When I pulled it out it felt nice and tight with no movement. I was happy. I got home and started to install it, I noticed a very fine wire was twisted around the shaft, between the E-Clip and the threaded sleeve. So being a typical man, I messed with it and caused it to fall off. The slop between the E-clip and threaded shaft was .003-.005" of play (used feeler gauge). So I found some small gauge wire, striped it, got a few strands of copper wire and replaced it. The wire removed the slop issue and the threaded sleeve still turned freely. I reinstalled it and threw some charges to watch the constancy, it drops powder at the same rate as the factory Dillon powder bar does. It will fluctuate .04-.08 grains, which is less than .1 grain.

I'm happy overall, however I will be watching the wire to see if it stays put. I think I am going to buy another one for my rifle powder bar. Time will tell if it is a permant fix.

Quick report:

Good communication with the Prairie Dog 6-120 people. Prompt shipping. Impressed with quality. Does have the wire others wrote of, but shouldn't be a problem (I will shim if necessary).

Rather than red Loctite I drilled and tapped the powder bar for one 8-32 stainless hex set screw on each side (fancier than needed, but I like it). Will try it out in the next week or two....

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for a reply to my initial inquiry to Uniquetek..... not impressed.

That is all for now.

Nearly all threads and nuts (or threaded holes) will have what machinists refer to as backlash. It varies on how well the threads match. You can take the backlash out by screwing the bar in one direction, then backing it out again to the desired setting. For example, on the Dillon bars without these devices, I turn it in a 1/4 turn, then start backing it out until I reach the desired setting. If I were to go too far and try turning it in, I'll induce the backlash back into the bar which can allow erratic charges. In such cases as adjusting too far, I turn it back in a 1/4 turn again and back out short of where the over charge took place, again creeping up on the proper setting. I can see where these marked bars would be a great aid in reestablishing that point quicker. I suspect that those of you experiencing wide fluctuations in powder measurements are doing so because you haven't taken the backlash out of the adjustment.

Nearly all threads and nuts (or threaded holes) will have what machinists refer to as backlash. It varies on how well the threads match. You can take the backlash out by screwing the bar in one direction, then backing it out again to the desired setting. For example, on the Dillon bars without these devices, I turn it in a 1/4 turn, then start backing it out until I reach the desired setting. If I were to go too far and try turning it in, I'll induce the backlash back into the bar which can allow erratic charges. In such cases as adjusting too far, I turn it back in a 1/4 turn again and back out short of where the over charge took place, again creeping up on the proper setting. I can see where these marked bars would be a great aid in reestablishing that point quicker. I suspect that those of you experiencing wide fluctuations in powder measurements are doing so because you haven't taken the backlash out of the adjustment.

Any back lash in my Uniquetek micrometers powder bars isn't measurable via the results (powder throws) with my digital scales using my best metering powder and 20 throws.

YMMV

Okay I have tested my Prairie Dog 6-120, and love it. I currently have it set 6.2 grains of CFE-Pistol.

For giggles I screwed out the Prairie Dog 6-120 more than 3/4 and dumped several loads in to a small container. (Didn't check the weight, but each load was about 3/4 or more of what the small powder bar holds).

Then I dumped the last load and with the powder bar empty screwed the Prairie Dog 6-120 back to the setting I had it at that gave me 6.2 grains. I ran the powder bar once to let it reset (did not test the first load), and then on the 2nd try it was pumping out 6.2 grains (right on the money). I'm happy.

Still haven't heard a word from the UniqueTek company, but I don't care. The Prairie Dog unit works for me.

Edited by reloader901

• 1 month later...

Well, Sunday I bought 3 more. So I guess I like them. I have been using mine to load 3K+ 9mm and found it to hold the charge weight after several different loading sessions (I unload powder hoppers at the end of each session). I had some problems with my first one having too much slop- which they fixes, but they told me it has been fixed in the production side. I should have my 3 new ones this weekend. I'll try to post reviews once I get them.

JW

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Sunday I bought 3 more. So I guess I like them. I have been using mine to load 3K+ 9mm and found it to hold the charge weight after several different loading sessions (I unload powder hoppers at the end of each session). I had some problems with my first one having too much slop- which they fixes, but they told me it has been fixed in the production side. I should have my 3 new ones this weekend. I'll try to post reviews once I get them.

JW

JW, how are the new micrometers? Did you get a chance to check them out yet?

I am curious how the prairie dog works with very small powder charges. My uniquetek is good down to 1.7 grains of WST when loading .32 wadcutters. If the prairie dog works that well I plan to buy several.

• 2 weeks later...

I described that incorrectly. The barrel on the rod that is threaded, needed to be shortened a little bit that way I could put a washer in between the 2 c-clips that hold it. Otherwise it comes with a piece of wire wrapped around to hold it in place. Seemed a little sloppy to me.

JW

JW, how are the new micrometers? Did you get a chance to check them out yet?

Sorry for my absence, I have been pretty busy with my side job.

To answer the question, they work good. I have screwed them in and out checking them with my scale. They are spot on, all three of them. the wire wrapped around the shaft is a bit hooky, but it works. If it gets worn, I'll just strip some wire and re-wrap or try the washer shimming. But for now, I'm happy with my 4.

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Uniquetek micrometer. My reasoning was that it actually uses a micrometer head and therefore reads like a true micrometer which I'm used to doing since I measure OAL with a mic. The Prairie uses a different scale (maybe that's why they don't actually call it a micrometer), which isn't bad just different. I also was skeptical about the wire shim.

I thought about making one of these but it's really hard to find that small of a micrometer head with a full 0.500" shaft travel. And if one exists I'm sure it's not cheap, so the cost of the Uniquetek doesn't seem as expensive. A good mic head is at least $30-50, and that's before messing with the carbide tip to adapt the bushing, etc.

The reason I'm posting is I thought I'd share how Uniquetek secures the 1/4-20 bushing: instead of C-clips and a wire shim, they use a screw and what looks like hand torn bits of phenolic (they say its plastic used to keep tension on the shaft). I'm not criticizing but I'm now much less skeptical about Prairie's wire shim, lol.

Prairie's method seems easier to fix or tweak since it has the clip at both ends (someone talked about using a washer and sanding down the 1/4-20 bushing as necessary). I don't want to mess with the $80 micrometer I just got so I'm not going to try removing the screw and seeing what's retaining the plastic bits. Having a screw at one end is nice, but I don't know what's at the other end.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share all this in case others are wondering.

post-57868-0-33137400-1455932105_thumb.j

Edited by StraightSh00ter