Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginners Handgun of Choice?

SAW45

Shooter Grll - Where I live in Arizona, you can rent a full house,  garage, yards and all, and that would usually include garbage and sewer fees. I don't have that problem since my house is paid for. But I AM on a fixed income. I fixed it alright!! hehe

TM - if one is considering the stock military-clone Berretta 92, then no reason not to consider the Taurus. I have shot it and I find it works as well as a 92 for fewer $$$.

However, Berretta's 9mm Elite II is a far better gun out of the box for the USPSA/IPSC game than the box stock 92 or Taurus clone (PT 92??) - the Elite II is also retailed for about $700 + at which point I would suggest buying the Glock 17 from someplace like topglock.com for $474.95 plus FFL transfer and pay glockmeister.com $25 for 3.5 lb trigger tuning parts or buy the excellent (and Glock-comparable) Croatian HS-2000 - which some people like to call the Springfield Armory XD 9mm. Just my 2cents. D.

Probably been said but shoot what you got or get any decent proven gun, Glock, Beretta, Sig, Hi Power in 9mm because its cheap. I would not get one of the budget or NEW guns. Many famous gun makers release POS all the time.

I have a friend with a Colt 2000 that he won't even sell because it makes him feel bad to sell a POS. I hear the PPK works now but most I have seen were jam o matics.

To improve you most practice and ammo is where you will spend the money. This is assuming you do not get the Open IPSC bug as it will take $2500-3500 to get into that game. Nobody tell me they can get a used Open gun for $1200 with mags. I am talking in general and one that Works, with reloading supplies,holster, and other stuff.

Come shoot USPSA Production with us. I use a beat up Sig 226 and don't feel held back at all. I am definitlly an Open shooter but try almost any shooting. The only thing I don't like about it is I am not allowed to put on mag pads so it pinches my hand.

PS Learn how to reload. You will pay off reloader in 2500 rounds and then continue to save save save money. Now I buy my 9mm because I shoot it so little and my time is short

tightloop - yes I have to have 9MM. :) As I mentioned I already have 45ACP in the form of a 1911A1 series 70 which works well. But I want the 9MM because it is much cheaper for me to reload. And since I don't need to meet some power factor, why not opt for less recoil,  less expense, more shooting and therefore more fun. Incidentally, I'm a certified instructor in many shooting venues here in Arizona,  a past benchrest shooter and was one of the very first shooting members of IHMSA. I also worked in the shooting industry for quite awhile. (I say this ONLY to let you know I am not a rank beginner) I've been  using a borrowed Dillon Square Deal to reload my 45, and want to buy my own Dillon now. I'm going to opt for the 550. My hands are not the smallest, and the 550 has more room to work with then the SDB.

My vote would be for the Taurus 92/99 series.  Beretta clone?  Not quite.  The Taurus can be fired from cocked-&-locked, or first shot double action, your choice.  Can't do that with the Beretta.  Also, the Taurus safety is frame mounted like the 1911 you're already used to.  Beretta's is slide-mounted and works "backwards"...up is the fire position!  You'd have to learn a whole new manual-of-arms to deal with that.

The Taurus fits in either Enhanced or Stock for IDPA, depending upon the first shot setup.....DA for Stock and cocked-&-locked for Enhanced.         FWIW

Alan

• 1 month later...

Dear Shooter, hope you decide in a very simple way after all you have read.

I have some expirience in this matter. I would buy a Glock 17, 19 or 26. The 17 is the bigger in 9mm and the less recoil. You can also buy it in a special model, the 17 C that means is has a compensator, but be sure to shoot it by day. If you shoot it by nigh with out expirience you probablly fail the second and next shots by beeing blind by the flash.

Other choice, (excelent choice) is the Smith Wesson semi autos in 9mm`s. They are the smoothest semi autos 9mm`s I`ve ever tried. They are very nice to shoot. They are good.

I normally use a rule to choose a calliber. I ask myself since I was a kid, "wich are the best rifle callibers to hunt?" Well, the answer is obviouslly, 223 REM, 308 WIN, 30-06 SPRG., 7x57 Mauser. Why? because they are the militar callibers, they, (the millitar) have try them for us, and they arrive to the point that they are the best for everything. Isnt it??

Well, make yourself the same question now but instead of calliber, ask guns.

Wich is the most choosen gun by law enforcement (for example)

Youll arrive to the same answer, Glock and Smith Wesson guns.

Best regards and good election.

Sincerelly, Swagerman

honoriomc@hotmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

I interviewed David Sevigny out at the Factory Gun Nationals. He told me his G34 was totally stock aside from the sights - MMC BlackSights, an excellent choice BTW. Interestingly, a few weeks before the FGN he "de-customized" his Glock by pulling out all the polished trigger parts and replacing them with factory stock units. He'd had the gun double in practice which said to him it was no longer safe to run with the modified parts. He stuck in the stock stuff, tried the trigger, said, "Ah, all that polishing doesn't make that much difference," and just left the stock parts alone. And came in second Production at the Factory Gun Nationals.

Another vote for the XD-9. Good trigger, good grip (especially for small hands), and my favorite, the ambidextrous mag release. I've got over a 1000rds through mine with not a single problem. Most of that was Winchester "Value pack" 9mm from Walmart. 100rds for $10.96. One more thing, the XD's can shoot lead and reloads where as that isn't recommended for stock Glocks.

(Edited by Sidetracker at 4:41 am on Dec. 2, 2002)