Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First USPSA MAtch

Here's a video of my first USPSA match, 3 May 2015, at the Brooklyn Sportsman Association in Brooklyn MI. Had a couple FTF with my reloads, when further inspected it looked like the primer wasn't seated far enough, but other than that I had a good time and am looking forward to my USPSA future. Any tips are more than welcome I can handle the internet flaming as well :devil:

https://youtu.be/cbtWh1Kx8g8

Just keep shooting matches, you'll learn more at a match than you will reading forums :roflol: . Look what you've already learned about handloading. Just make sure you keep the fun factor in it.

Yea I found out that one of the Winchester head stamped .40 is police issued and has a very light primer crimp, that some of them will load no problem and others will get a little sliver of brass shaved off that just stuck in the primer cup causing it to not seat fully.

As I load my magazine, I inspect each primer - some are fired primers, some

are missing or sideways, and some are too high - I put those in my pants

pocket and continue loading the mag.

Nothing wrong with inspecting the primers before the match, but I usually

wait for match day.

Of course, if it's a BIG match, I inspect the rounds a week in advance, and

drop each one into my chamber (removed from the gun) to make sure

each cartridge has a "good primer" and fits into the chamber easily

(Plunk Test).

I usually get 3-4 "bad" primers per match - I use them in practice, or break

them down next time I reload. :cheers:

I'm still relatively new myself. I think you did a fine job. As a fellow "camera on head" recording guy, please adjust your camera up, if possible :) Regarding the primer issue, I do the same thing Hi-Power Jack suggested, and I check them when I reload them before I put them in the ammo box. Looking forward to seeing future videos. Keep up the good work!

Law I didn't realize how far down it was, but I now have a new mount that puts the camera on your shoulder, which I like better so you don't get nothing but portal all the time. Also thanks guys for the tips, I just got to excited to shoot my first match that I didn't even think to check my ammo. Adding that to pregame routine from now on.

Law I didn't realize how far down it was, but I now have a new mount that puts the camera on your shoulder, which I like better so you don't get nothing but portal all the time. Also thanks guys for the tips, I just got to excited to shoot my first match that I didn't even think to check my ammo. Adding that to pregame routine from now on.

I was just ribbing you :) The first time I mounted a camera on my hat I had it adjusted so high you could only see the top of the targets. It was basically a video full of looking at the berms :blush:

Edited by lawmangr

Id say you did fine, but since you wanted some feedback, I will share what Ive learned...

Hold the gun tighter, especially your weak hand and where you shot one handed

Have your grip formed and gun up, pointing toward the target 1 1/2 steps before you arrive where you are posting up (youll be on target much quicker).

Learn to reload with the gun up about even with your nose. Itll be faster because your eyes can track from target to gun quicker plus it adds increases situational and target awareness.

Doing these these will shave .2-.3 seconds off every reload and every place you posted up. Thats 3-4 seconds on the stages you posted and you didnt "shoot faster" (you moved through the stage faster).

Hope this helped. The guy that taught it to me is a GM

• 9 months later...