Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 75gr vs. Sierra 77gr

Mbauer67

My normal long range load is 23.5gr of H4895 with a Sierra 77gr MK at 2.245" OAL, which is very accurate, but as with anything i can't leave it alone. I have been wanting to try the 75gr hornady bullets, has anyone done the same switch and if so which result were you most happy with. Did the same powder and charge weights produce similar velocities and groups or was is like starting from scratch?

I understand every gun is different but I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the time working up another load.

I have much better luck with either Sierra or Nosler 77 gr over the Hornaday's. Both shoot nice tight groups I use VV N140, but your H4895 is a great powder. I've had very poor lucky with the Hornaday's the groups at 100 yards are between 3-4", the Sierra/Noslers fit under a dime at 100 yards.

It also depends on the range you're looking to shoot them at - I've had the hornady 75 going to 800 yards (in an AR15) pretty accurately to shoot steel with. So, take a look at the bullet coefficient to make sure it works with any longer ranges you're looking for in terms of drop, terminal velocity.

In my experience, I was able to get groups with the Hornady 75g that rivaled my SMK 77g loads out of my 16" LT PredaTOBR. For example, I did a ladder with RE15 with both bullets and my best group of five was 0.63 MOA (second best was 0.82) with the Hornady and 0.73 MOA (second best was 0.91 MOA) with the Sierra at 100 yards with comparable loads. I have considerably more experience with the Sierra and Nosler 77g bullets and like them both but would also be happy with the Hornady.

I found the hornadys to be very sensitive to oal and how much jump they had to the rifling (at least in my guns).

My best geoups with them were when I seated them as long as I could without them hanging up in the mags or (or without them touching the rifling). I think that is caused by the nose profile being different and less "self centering" somehow when they enter the bore (something to do with having a secant ogive I suspect.)

http://www.accurateshooter.com/ballistics/tangent-vs-secant-vs-hybrid-ogive-bullets/

Edited by caspian guy