Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extractor Fit

Hi guys.  Just wondering, most people seemed concerned with the right amount of tension the extractor provides to the bullet.  I'm worried about its fit in the channel.  You see, my extractor is a bit loose and pivots about 5-10 degrees clockwise during shooting.  In fact, with a bit of finger pressure I can twist it slightly in its channel. Although I have not encountered any malfunction in about 300 rounds, is this something I should be worried about?  Thanks for your replies. :)

This is for a .45acp 1911.

Extractor Tuning Tips

By Bill Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A well fit extractor is essential to the reliability of any M-1911 pistol. The following guidelines apply to fitting a new extractor, or properly tuning the one you have in your gun.

1. Correct Tension

With the slide taken off the frame and with the barrel removed, slip the rim of a LOADED cartridge under the extractor hook and position it so that the extractor is gripping the case at the center line, as shown in fig 1a and 1b. You should now be able to lightly shake the slide in any direction, without the cartridge falling off. If this test is unsuccessful, you will need to adjust the tension.

For tension adjustment, place aprox. 1/2" of the tip of the extractor into the extractor channel and apply just enough pressure to slightly bend the extractor. Be careful, a little goes a long way! See figure 1c.

Do not put more tension than needed to perform this simple test - too much tension will result in feeding malfunctions whereas too little tension can cause failure to extract and/or erratic ejection.

2. Positioning of the Extractor

The locator pad (the radiused lug behind the extractor groove) determines at what point the bottom of the extractor groove contacts the rim of the cartridge and puts tension on it.

Slide the rim of an EMPTY case under the extractor hook and position the case so that the extractor hook grips it at the center line. Now pull the case downwards approx. .075 - .1000"; there should still be tension, enough to keep the empty case in position even when the slide is lightly shaken. The same test performed with a loaded round should result in the cartridge falling off. This equals roughly to 1-1.5 lbs tension on the case.

If you have correct tension on the case when it is centered on the breechface, as described in (1) above and little to no tension at all, with the case being pulled down approx. .075 - .100", you need to bring the extractor groove closer to the firing pin hole.

This is done by removing a small amount of material at a time, from the locator pad, while maintaining the radius. Constantly check for correct tension, so that you don't take too much material off. See sketch below.

3. Fitting the Firing Pin Stop

The fit of the Firing Pin Stop to the groove at the rear of the extractor is crucial to the correct extractor positioning. If there is a loose fit, then the extractor will move or twist, causing inconsistent ejection.

With the extractor installed, the firing pin stop should slide into position using normal finger pressure. If the firing stop binds (when installing a new extractor), you will have to reducve the width of the firing pin stop, by removing material from its right side, where it contacts the extractor.

Remove only a few thousandths of an inch at a time, while being careful to keep the right side parallel to the left side. When correctly installed, the firing pin stop will fit snugly into place, which prevents the extractor from twisting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bk

Your extractor should not pivot or rotate in its channel, it should be rigidly locked in place by the firing pin stop. I'd examine your firing pin stop, and where it engages the extractor, you may need to replace one or both.  It might work fine now, but it can't be good to have one that loose, why take a chance?

(the goal being to have no wiggle or play in the firing pin stop when installed, it should fit snuggly against the extractor)

(Edited by shooter40 at 2:28 pm on June 11, 2002)

Shooter40 nailed it!

The extractor should not move at all. You should replace the firing pin stop. The best way is to get an oversized firing pin stop from EGW and have it fitted.

The extractor may need to be replaced as well, but most likely just the stop.

Just my .02. If it's working (ALL the time), don't try to fix it. :) I've used standard type extractors and firing pin stops in all my guns over the years with no problems. A little wobble in the fit isn't critical, especially in the .40 and .45; but it is slightly more critical in the "hard to make extract ALL the time" .38 super, or variant.

And, anybody ever actually tried to fit an oversize firing pin stop? What a loser! I totally ruined my first one by the time I got it to actually go in the gun. I think that was my last one...

be

benos said  - "And, anybody ever actually tried to fit an oversize firing pin stop? What a loser! I totally ruined my first one by the time I got it to actually go in the gun. I think that was my last one... "

No, I have not.  I leave that up to a "qualified gunsmith", which I am not

I will tell you that when the 'smith said he'd fit one, and I had no reason to doubt him, so I agreed.

But since they aren't very expensive, $13 or so, I might just try it to see if it is truly as much fun as you indicate On the other hand, the lawn does need to be mowed...........

Really appreciate all the response guys  I have actually forgotten about this post.  Does this forum have  any facility to automatically send me an email once a reply is sent to a thread that I have subscribed? Thanks.

McO

McO,

Yes, you can select to have email notifications when you originally post your question. With this forum software, after that, you're out of luck - to either stop the email responses or start them. And, be sure to have a good email address in your profile because if it's not - they all get dumped into my mailbox. ;)

be

Checked my email add BE it's correct.  Thanks a lot for the replies guys.  I was looking for the email notification in my Profile and couldn'y find it, sheesh!

BTW, been checking around the local shops here and coudn't find an oversized FP stop.  Guess I'll just have my gunsmith make me one that fits better Be safe.