Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those who missed the opportunity to shoot the Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun, but want a chance at something even better, the wait is over, well almost. I'm going to open registration for the Starlight 3 Gun Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 6:00 PM Pacific time. Quick catch up from last year, then onto the cool stuff for this year. Many folks wondered why Crimson Trace would just stop hosting the coolest 3 Gun match of the year. Well the Starlight 3 Gun is the answer to that. Jim Shepard from the Outdoor Wires hit up Crimson Trace with a way to take night shooting to the next level, much like CTC did in 2012 for the first match. After talking with Jim, CTC decided to step back and let Jim run with it. The result of Jim's vision will be the 2015 Starlight 3 Gun.

The match this year will be in Glengary West Virginia at Peacemaker National Training Center, September 24-25, 2015. For those who haven't been there, this is a great venue. There are a lot of things we can do there, that we could not do in Bend, OR. But I don't want to give all my surprises away yet. Travel to the range is easy, a flight into Reagan or Dulles, and about a 90 minute drive. Hotels are close to the range as well.

The match this year will be a lot easier to shoot as well. Because of the move to the East coast, and the time of year we can shoot earlier. I expect we will be shooting at 7:30 PM this year. There are also a few less stages, 6 plus a shootoff for the top competitors. This means we should be done shooting each night the same day we start. I expect we'll finish each night between 11:00 - 11:30 PM.

This years match is also being held at the same time as the NRA World Shooting Championship at PNTC. http://peacemakernational.com/wsc This is an excellent opportunity to get two matches in one.

I'll update this thread on Saturday with a registration link.

If you have any questions, email me and I'll do my best to answer,
Thanks,
Chuck Anderson
Former Match Director Crimson Trace Midnight 3 Gun Invitational
Current Match Director Starlight 3 Gun
chuck@andersontactical.com

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same days as the NRA World Shooting Championship? They are running 12 stages for that match. PNTC has a great facility but unless you're sharing stages with the WSC, I'm thinking space will be tight. I'm also thinking I'll be there anyway!

We've got the space. We'll be using that last three bays on the end of the range, plus three past that point. Kind of semi circle clockwise from there. Went out and did a site tour last month and the space is there. Lot of shooting that weekend.

Entry fee is $250.00. And we are doing online payments at the time of registration on Practiscore. Plan ahead.

Shouldn't be too bad for the prize table. We've only got 90 slots for the Starlight so it shouldn't take too long. I'll be standing by with an FN 303 in case anyone is pokey picking their prize out.

Entry fee is $250.00. And we are doing online payments at the time of registration on Practiscore. Plan ahead.

Shouldn't be too bad for the prize table. We've only got 90 slots for the Starlight so it shouldn't take too long. I'll be standing by with an FN 303 in case anyone is pokey picking their prize out.

Assuming your licensed to carry that in WV, you won't mind my P90 slung under my shirt.

Seeing as how I have been trying to figure out when I'd have time to schedule a trip out to Bend to shoot in That Night Match That Everyone Keeps Talking About, I have to say Chuck's timing for an East Coast swing was a pleasant surprise. I am really looking forward to this match!

Chuck, do you have this year's rules or, at least, a pointer to rules from a previous Crimson Trace match? I would like to get an early start in understanding the equipment rules for a match like this and deciding what new gadgets I need to lay in before the match.

Should have them up soon. Short version is the match is all OPEN. Way open. You can use a different gun combination on every stage if you really want. You have to use a center fire rifle (.223 or better), shotgun and pistol on each stage. You can use dots, lasers, scopes, big mags, little mags, whatever you want. And you can swap stage to stage if you really want, or find out what you thought would work on Stage 1 really doesn't. The shotgun round count is pretty minimal. There are no more than 9 rounds of SG required on any stage. The Open SG folks will not have a huge advantage so don't worry if you don't have one. I would recommend against using NVG's at this years match. There will be a lot of spectators and I'm worried that will mean a lot of white noise pollution which could damage NV. You can try if you want, but I'd recommend against. No capacity limits on any gun. If Mark Hanish wants to bring out his belt fed 12 ga and shoot a the semi auto M249 for the match, go for it. No full auto allowed on the range though, and you only get to use one of each type of gun on any one stage. No staging 4 shotguns on the course. Any lights you use need to go with you. No setting up an aircraft landing light before the stage starts and using that to illuminate targets. If you have a specific question go ahead and ask away.

No, that works for me. I've looked at some of the threads on night matches before, so I think I have a pretty good idea what I want to run.

Out of curiosity, though, is there any good reason not to use a rifle suppressor as a really good comp and flash hider?

Edited by CJW

Additional weight at the end makes the rifle transition more slowly. If you use decent ammo its not bad at all with a muzzle break. I was actually surprised how little I noticed the muzzle flash. There are a couple stages you will be finishing with the rifle. If you're running a can and the timer isn't picking up shots the RO will have to tap the timer after your last shot which might add a tenth or two. Or the RO may get really close to make sure the timer picks up the shot. Either could be distracting. But that said, if you want to, go for it.

Additional weight at the end makes the rifle transition more slowly. If you use decent ammo its not bad at all with a muzzle break. I was actually surprised how little I noticed the muzzle flash. There are a couple stages you will be finishing with the rifle. If you're running a can and the timer isn't picking up shots the RO will have to tap the timer after your last shot which might add a tenth or two. Or the RO may get really close to make sure the timer picks up the shot. Either could be distracting. But that said, if you want to, go for it.

Muzzle flash, apparently Chuck missed seeing a couple of us shooting American Eagle ammo last year, the fire ball is pretty impressive, especially on of the SBR one guy was running (bright yellow flames about two feet each way out of his comp) other than that though he is correct most ammo was pretty tame

I ran American Eagle and Freedom Munitions last year. From the shooter end, I really didn't notice anything. Standing off to the side saw some impressive flash but it didn't seem to bother anyone. Now a guy running an SBR? That's different.

There will be plenty of light with the Paparazzi following Jesse Tischauser around......wait a minute, Jesse won't you be on maternity leave during that time frame, way to plan!

I will be there with the Streamlights in full force! Not 14K lumens as Jesse but I will be prepared!

Chuck let me know if you need anything.

• 3 weeks later...