Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do when your bullets don't weigh correctly?

HAUGH

You know, lead bullets have been used for several centuries and there is little new under the sun.

Lead bullets are perfectly fine and accurate with a 5-6 grain variation. Like most, many years ago I bought some 124gn 9mm cast bullets (all my casting equipment was still packed up) and decided to weigh them. I separated in 0.2 grain increments. I assumed that the light bullets would have air pockets and be inaccurate and the heavy bullets would be the best cast.

Guess what? It didn't matter. I shot about 5 groups at various weights and, when I was down to just about 100 bullets, I just loaded them in 5 shot groups taking a light bullet, a step up in weight bullets, another step up in weight, and another step up in weight, and the heaviest bullet.

After averaging all the groups. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE OUT TO 50 YARDS. This may change at longer ranges.

I have found no difference with jacketed bullets ranging 2 grains, but most a tighter than that.

Even wrinkled cast bullets can be very accurate--as long as the base is oompletely filled out and there are no dings for hot cases to blow by as bullet exits the muzzle.

Good cast bullets are as accurate as jacketed and I have not found a plated bullet (except for GD-HPs and XTP/HAP bullets) that was accurate out past 15 yards.