Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you do when your bullets don't weigh correctly?

HAUGH

So I ordered some black bullets international, 9mm 125gr and 40sw 180gr. I just got them a few days ago as I wanted to try the Hitek coated bullets. I know a lot of people here use jacketed bullets but would really like to get some input from you guys using lead and in general from everyone who buys bullets and expects them to weigh out correctly....heres the deal.

I started weighing the 9mm which are supposed to be 125gr. They are weighing out to 121, 122, 123 and barely 124gr...I've got maybe a handful or less of actual 125gr.

So I email them, and here is their response....."Different lots of lead have slight variations in density and create this issue. Our 125s have been running around 123.6 +/- 1.2 grains for normal lead bullet variation. This is typical of a lead bullet."

I don't really care for the response because I started weighing the 40sw 180gr bullets and they are all weighing 180gr......so if their lead batches are different why do these 40sw weigh what they are supposed to?

What do you guys think of that response? I've only been loading for about 18months and only loading lead for the past 6 months with the same 9mm lead bullets from Rocky Mountain Reloading....their bullets did all mostly weight 125gr.

​I completely understand the deal with different lead batches and their contents and how they might weigh differently, but why would you advertise and sell a bullet that is supposed to be 125gr and have them actually weigh less. I mean are other companies that are selling lead bullets doing the same thing? Shouldn't the company making lead bullets figure out how to make their batches consistent weight?

As I said I've only been loading lead for the past six months and that was with the 3k of 125gr I bought from Rocky Mountain Reloading. I ran out which is why I bought some BBI bullets to try out as I wanted less smoke and they had an excellent price. But I was looking at a handful of different lead vendors and settled on Black Bullets International because of their price and the fact that shipping was included compared to Bayou who charges more for shipping. So i guess what I'm asking is if I order from a place like Bayou or some other place making lead bullets am I going to get the same BS that I am currently experiencing from BBI? I want my bullets to be a solid consistent weight, so my loads will shoot the same. If I load 1 or 2 grs less with powder that completely changes the way my ammo shoots/feels, wouldn't the same thing happen with bullets that don't weigh what they're supposed to?

Black Bullets International said "I" could ship back the bullets if I wasn't happy with the fact that they are not weighing 125gr....Really disappointed in this company right now. I was excited to try the coated bullets at the great price, but this is putting a bad taste in my mouth with BBI

I think you are overthinking this. I have been loading for a few years. I am sure every manufacturer out there will give you same answer that BBI gave. I have never found a bullet that weights exactly the stated weight, no matter who the manufacturer was. Sometime they weigh slightly more, sometime less. Even within one box the weights will absolutely vary due to slight fluctuations in manufacturing, the amount of coating, the lead, the plating etc.

I don't weigh my Hi-Tek coated lead projectiles, I load them and shoot them.

What do you plan to use them for exactly? For most, that variation won't make any measurable difference for their intended use. If you truly want to make the most of them, separate them into three or four lots of respective weights and do separate load development for each.

If you need maximum consistency and accuracy from your 9mm projectiles, you should look to Hornady HAP (or Precision Delta JHP, Montana Gold JHP or Zero JHP).

Nobody weighs bullets for action pistol. There is just not enough difference to make any difference. Proove it to yourself. Take your mininum/maximum loads and group it at 25 yards, you won't see a difference.

If shooting USPSA bullet weight can be a big deal. That's why I weigh samples from every box I open. If you are assuming 125 and actually are 121 that's 4pf difference at 1050 fps.

But I will say to the OP, you are in the vast minority by not being happy with BBI

The 125s I ordered averaged 123 or so. I just adjusted my load so it made 135,000 using the actual bullet weight Loading at 135,000 gives me plenty of room for error if some of the bullets used at a match chrono are a little light. BBI ships fast and has good prices so I'm willing to put up with small variations in bullet weight.

It's good you found this out before going to a big match and possibly going sub-minor because then you shoot for no score. Now you know, up the powder or change bullets. That's one thing I can say about MG, they are always very close to their weight. Last Area match I went to that weighed a bullet, it was 114.8 (I was shooting 115s then).

I also dont think bullet weight is a deal killer. Just weight a handfull and adjust your recipe to make pf. It should not take alot but you will need to recheck your load for pf and pressure

Edited by blue edge

If shooting USPSA bullet weight can be a big deal. That's why I weigh samples from every box I open. If you are assuming 125 and actually are 121 that's 4pf difference at 1050 fps.

But I will say to the OP, you are in the vast minority by not being happy with BBI

Fortunately, a lighter bullet will fly faster, and you will most likely not see any drop in the PF - I, in fact, measured the EXACTLY the same PF with a 121 and 124 grain bullets, using the same powder charge.

Sorry about your dissatisfaction with the product and our service. With your level of disgust I am refunding the cost of the 125s from your order. Keep the projectiles that you have as there is no need to return them. Good luck in your reloading and competitive shooting ventures.

Yeah I know I'm over thinking this a little...thats why I wanted to get the communities comments. I understand "lead batches" but why are the 40sw 180s weighing 180.....I spent over 20mins weighing them and not one was under 180 and barely any were over 180. Now weigh the 9mm 125gr and they are all over the place, I couldn't even find a consistent weight under 125.

I will keep them and do as suggested; adjust powder charge and go from there. I simply wanted to know if others out there who load find the same thing with their lead bullets that they buy.

I'm not disgusted with the product, just frustrated I guess by ordering 125gr and getting something else. I posted their reply because again, I wanted to know if other shooters encounter this and if it's normal for a company to say they are selling a certain weight but in reality it's something different.....I've never seen any of the websites that are selling say anything about weights being +/- a certain number of grains....... I mean when you are new to reloading and reading and researching, everything and everyone says...be exact, be precise, weigh your bullets, weigh your charges, do this do that, etc....so I'm just trying to inform myself more about reloading and here you go, I learned something new today.

BBI does have great prices and fast shipping, as I said I was going to also order some Bayou bullets, but if I can save myself $15 on shipping then I'll go that route and adjust as necessary. With as much as I'm shooting these days, keeping this reloading spending to a minimum is getting important. I think I'll keep ordering from BBI.

thanks everyone for the input, its communities like these that really are a great tool for information and getting opinions and suggestions.

I shoot them.

The weight is determined by both the mold and the alloy. Out of the same 230 grain mold, I have cast bullets from 211 grains up to 240 grains. FWIW the lighter bullets are harder and the pure lead weigh the most.

I never load my ammo so that 2 or 3 gr. variance in bullet weight will cause me to not make the PF. Doing that is just asking for trouble.

A bullet weight difference between 121-125 would require a 34 fps change in velocity to make the same PF. I don't cut it that close either, assuming bullets are pulled at the chronograph...

There is nothing unusual about there being some variation in bullet weight....even in different batches from the same manufacturer. BBIs are great! I've shot a lot of different bullets from a lot of manufacturers and BBIs are among the best. Their customer service is excellent as well, as evidenced by Chandler's generous offer to the OP. If the OP is surprised by the slight variation in bullets weights wait till he loads with differents lots of the same powder and has to adjust his load because of the slight variations in performance between them. The reality is you just gotta check for the variations everytime you get a new batch of bullets, or powder and make the necessary adjustments. Whether that means you have to udjust your load up or down some it really isn't going to matter since you're likely not going to be able to feel it. Get bullets....load bullets...shoot bullets...have fun! Don't overthink it too much, OP, and I agree, a thank you to Chandler is absolutely in order. Damn decent of him.

This happens from time to time -- coatings matter, and the weight listed on a particular bullet mold may make certain assumptions about the kind of lead people use. It's not a big deal, but if you're going somewhere you need to pass chrono, be sure to account for it.

Sorry about your dissatisfaction with the product and our service. With your level of disgust I am refunding the cost of the 125s from your order. Keep the projectiles that you have as there is no need to return them. Good luck in your reloading and competitive shooting ventures.

Dude, that is awesome! I'm going to order some bullets from you guys.

Sent from the range

Not sure why everyone is being so hard on the op. He's new, something didn't seem right to him so he asked a question and he didn't ask for a refund. I've used a few brands of bullets and have not seen weights that far from what was stated before so I can understand his frustration.