Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The buds are back

Patrick Sweeney

The Juncos are back, elbowing the finches off the feeders (the finches elbow back) and the new Cardinal feeder had action in less than 24 hours. As a bonus, the new Cardinal feeder is also luring a Nuthatch or two.

I cna hardly wait for my new, big telephoto lens to get some photos to show.

I think they're getting to know me. When I re-fill with thistle seed, they just flutter off a branch or two away, waiting.

Funny you should mention all this... There were actually birds singing in the pines here most of the past few days. It's been dry all winter and warm just the past week. The early flowering trees already bloomed and I'm seeing fat leaf buds on some of the trees. (the major big bloomers will be another month or so.)

There's hope. :) ...(except for our dwindling water supply...) :unsure:

Damn, my wife is up to $40 a week for birdfeed (although the squirrels eat the vast majority).

If it wasn't for my pellet gun, the birds would get nothing because the squirels would eat it all!

I don't kill them, just discourage them :D

For bird food, check around, I'm using about 100#'s a month.

If the quail were not so picky, I could be using stuff for $10 for 50#'s but they want the $13 stuff.

The other birds seem to eat anything... and the hawks get those that are too busy eating to pay attention to thier surroundings.. usually Dove or sparrows. Kind of cool to watch..

My mom feeds the birds and squirrels outside her apartment (we have so many squirrels here in Eugene I've long since quit caring what happens to them), and announced that the squirrels have now reached the point where they're having way-physical knock-down-drag-outs before her very eyes... ripping and tearing each other's fur out and leaving chunks of it on the lawn. The birds come in, meanwhile, and eat while the squirrels are too busy fighting over the food that the birds have snuck in to eat. :rolleyes::rolleyes: