Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do the STI single stacks compare to Dan Wessons?

ArrDave

Just curious, the STIs are talked about widely and very few of my LGSs carry any models from them. The only one I've personally handled was the Spartan, which was nice for what it was. How does a full zoot STI (say a Lawman) stack up next to a Valor?

Recently picked up a STI Sentry 150 rounds of factory 180 without a hitch. No experience with hard chrome,but gun is tight,finish inside and out More then satisfactory.

No experience with the Valor, but having shot Wilson's and Baers more then happy with the STI.

I own a Spartan V 9mm. Please don't judge the STI line by the Spartan. It was STI's attempt to grab some entry level market. While a decent gun for that purpose, I think even STI deemed it a failure, as the Spartan has been dropped. I've had a couple Trojans. Good for a cast frame gun. No experience with DW, but their reputation here is stellar.

I have had both and currently have 2 Pointman. I think the DW guns are tighter. I had the DW Custom shop build an extra top end for each and I can shoot Major or Minor, depending on my preference, with the same grips and trigger systems.

I'm sure either way you will be getting a high quality gun.

I own a Spartan V 9mm. Please don't judge the STI line by the Spartan. It was STI's attempt to grab some entry level market. While a decent gun for that purpose, I think even STI deemed it a failure, as the Spartan has been dropped. I've had a couple Trojans. Good for a cast frame gun. No experience with DW, but their reputation here is stellar.

Last i heard the spartan was only dropped because of issues related to import/export, not because it was a failure. I love mine, 25k rounds and still going with lots of abuse heaped on it. Finish sucks, but every STI without hard chrome has that issue

After EDC on my Valor and approx 1400 or so rds since january, I've got a lot of respect for the gun, the finish has held up pretty well. Only issue with the finish has been the grip screws are blued so they rust, swapped them for stainless. I'll probably stick with DW for single stacks, when I get my double stack I'll give STI a call :P

I have an STI Sentinel Premier, STI Eagle and, until recently, an STI Trojan. Sold the Trojan to buy a DW Pointman 9. The STI high-end guns are equivalent to the DW and both are excellent choices.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a DW Valor more as a full-size 1911 concealed-carry option, a role it fills very well. It is a joy to shoot at the range. With a few modifications, it would fill the competition role very well, too. I'd go with standard-thickness grip panels, a mag well and an oversize slide stop button. I don't know that I'd need to do much else to it. I worked out the fixed sights to shoot one inch high at 25 yards, and that should work well for the matches.

If I were to buy a new gun for USPSA single stack, I'd certainly give STIs a hard look. I understand they are very good.

Edited by GunBugBit