Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference in Case Guages

Dutchman195

Probably been talked about before but I couldn't find anything in the search,

Background:

I have a EGW 7 hole, Dillon Aero and then a guage i found at a garage sale that wasn't a name brand. In my 40 for my STI limited gun with a SVI barrel I case guage everything.

Question: Are case guages made to different tolerances?

My EGW guage rarely lets the 40SW ammo fall into the holes and actually go flush with the top of the guage. However my Dillon guage will allow almost all rounds to fall in them. If they are sticking really far out of the EGW guage then i'll drop them in the Dillon and they may not fall all the way in. But historically if it doesnt fit in the EGW it WILL fit in the Dillon guage. Why?

When the rounds do fall flush into the EGW 7 hole they get stuck to the point i have to push them out with my finger from the other side.

Flip side. on my 9mm EGW guage (7 Hole), almost 90% of the rounds fall flush with the top of the guage.

I would really like to buy the 100 round one but i'm afaird that it will be exactly like the EGW guage and just be a pain in the ass. have to drop them all in there and then push each one out by hand. Not speeding anything up for me.

Thanks in advance!

I have no idea about gauge tolerances. Because:

The only gauges that I have are Dillon for 6 or so calibers BUT I have gotten around to using a barrel removed from one of my Glocks(several sizes for each one so there is always one available) to test(kerplunk test) reloads coming off the Dillion 550. I got into this habit because of my first experiences with reloading SIG357. The in hand barrel was a lot faster and more certain than the case gauge.

I also concluded that the KERPLUNK test in a barrel was the more certain test when I bordered on undercrimp or OAL issue of a new bullet combo. If NO clear KERPLUNK I knew I was borderline or just about there.on crimp and helpful in assuring no OAL issues like in had on Sig 357.

To detect overcrimping, which can naturally follow if you step to far over the line, I have to follow my SOP of pulling a few bullets in the early part of the reload run to make sure there is little or no indentation of the brass plate surfaces.

Personal preference purely but my confidence has paid off. Faster, more certain. Especially if you have a gun that is finicky about crimp or OAL spec required..the KERPLUNK in its barrel is perhaps the "better way".

Chuck

Edited by chuckols

There are definitely differences in brands. I use several brands and the EGW 7 round gauges are tighter than all of my others. The pistol gauges aren't as bad but I've stopped using the rifle gauges. About 20% of my rounds fail in my .223 and .308 EGW gauges but pass in the Dillon, Lyman, and Lee gauges as well as my barrels.

I use the "Hundo" 100 round case gauge. They're made in either regular or "Supermatch" versions. The Supermatch is at SAAMI minimum dimensions while the regular one is somewhere in the middle of the tolerance span. I use the Supermatch because if it passes that, it will function without any problem. The rounds that fail the gauge get put into my practice ammo bag and they normally work just fine, I just won't take the chance in a match. http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/The-Hundo-100-Round-Case-Gauge-s/1827.htm

The EGW is SAAMI minimum spec. All others are SAAMI maximum spec on the chamber.

In my experience so far, the EGW is a total waste of money. It doesn't have any clearance of the bullets, so rounds fit backwards only. The only EGW product I've hated, but there it is.

Like it's been stated, the tightest gauges I've owned would be the EGW. Lyman is pretty tight too with Wilson being close to them. The Dillon gauge is really good and if it doesn't pass that, it might not run in my gun. Everything that doesn't pass gets chamber gauged and put in the practice bin. I have the Hundo gauge in 9mm I use all the time now and love it. It's close to the Dillon but I think a tad tighter but very close. I haven't had one pass through this gauge that didn't fit in my chamber. I have the standard one, not the match version. When I purchased mine, I don't believe they had the match version out but the standard CG9-100-A works for me and I have FGW custom guns with KKM and Schuemann barrels.

Sounds like everyone is confirming the problem I am having. I think I will purchase the Hundo one from the BSPS. just have to reach way into the wallet for that.

Whats the difference on those ones from the Min spec to the Max spec guage.

Sounds like everyone is confirming the problem I am having. I think I will purchase the Hundo one from the BSPS. just have to reach way into the wallet for that.

Whats the difference on those ones from the Min spec to the Max spec guage.

I have the min spec one, or as they call it "Supermatch". I like it because it will catch any that's even the slightest bit larger than minimum. I pull those out an check them with a barrel, if it passes, I mark it and throw it in the bag.

For 38 super I really like the EGW 50 hole checker, but that is a straight walled case and rarely do any of the rounds get stuck...either they fit flush or they don't.

For 9mm I have a 7 hole EGW and a non-anodized regular "hundo", and the hundo seems to be very slightly tighter than the EGW. Seems to be on the order of 0.0005-0.0015" tighter than the EGW. For me this is perfect as all my 9mm guns will chamber any round the regular hundo or EGW passes. The hundo is thinner than the EGW which allows the bullet tips to protrude out the back. For fit checking I put the hundo on a small piece of pile carpet and all the bullets will seat as the bullet tips just push into the pile carpet, or I'll tip it on the edge and let them fall in. for removing I just dump the hundo by turning it upside down and any that stick come out just by running my hand over the protruding bullet tips. Sounds way more complicated than it really is.

I kind of tossed around the idea of getting the super match grade hundo, but for me the regular one works great and I am not getting needless failures. If you have a gun with a really tight chamber the super match might be the way to go.

Edited by Bamboo