Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexperienced Gun Owner - Looking to sell handgun.

simioen1

Hi everyone!

I was refered to this forum from a co-worker. I live in Dallas an down two pistols that I try to take really good care of. Last year for Fathers Day my mom bought me a new .357 SIG P239. I've shot with it a handful of times and maybe put 400 rounds through it. It works perfectly, but I don't really like the gun and I don't really see a reason to keep it.

The gun is registered in my name and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me as to your recommendation for me selling it. I know I'm a newb, but I appreciate any tips / time you guys have for me.

Thanks so much!

Edited by simioen1

If you sell the gun, make sure you check out the prospective buyer if they are already not known to you. Most sales I have been involved with are either to people I know directly or to people that know them. ie. I have a gun and a friend approaches me with a request to sell it to a friend of theirs. Being as they are both active shooters I do not worry about their abilities to handle the gun or their having some sort of criminal desires. I have made a few sales to strangers but they were all rifles and the purchasers were looking for a specific style of gun. In one case a long range varmint rifle. Just a brief conversation and I had no problems making the sale because he knew the language.

It's not regestered in your name. Texas has no gun regrestry.

Sell it to whomever you would like. It is illegal to knowingly sell it to a prohibited person such as a fellon. You could take it to just about any gun shop and see what they will give you or list it on a site like texas gun trader and meet up face to face in a public space in daylight. Its not required but a good idea to write up a bill of sale and get the guys DL#.

Hope that helped

I had a pistol listed for sale online. Had a good offer, and googled the prospective buyer.

Saw he had a criminal history, so naturally I didn't sell it to him.

Since then, if I don't know the buyer personally, I'll only do a gun sale at an FFL/gunstore, and pay to have them do an instant check on the buyer.

Or if the pistol is sold to someone out of state where it is legal to do so, then it's shipped to their local FFL who does the instant background check.