Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team .40 into 10mm?

Ascinder

I have had a Elite Match for some years now in 10mm and it is time to step it up a notch, so I am looking pretty hard at the Gold team. The problem is that I am a pretty diehard 10mm guy. Has anyone looked into having a gunsmith chamber ream a .40 barrel up to 10mm? I have yet to actually see a 10mm barrel for a Gold Team, and I figured it would be easier to ream out an already ported and threaded .40 vs. buying the whole conversion kit from EAA.

I don't see why not. It is a large frame gun just run k10 mags w 140 pads. Should be a pretty awesome little project! I would love to see some 10mm loads with a 135g in a gold team! Make major and then some!

You should be able to just cut the part of the chamber that sets the headspace deeper. The barrel throat or leade or whatever its called should be the same. You might be able to use a .40 barrel and .40 brass because I load ammo for my .40 S&W Match to 1.25" OAL with 180 grain Bayou and BBI bullets and it has run great for 13K rounds (with mostly milder practice ammo). I load minor & major power factor and some 10mm loads by just changing the recoil spring (although for 10mm loads I use the Sprinco system as suggested by one of the gurus here on the Brian Enos forum).

Good luck.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Is the gold team a straight barrel or cone barrel gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sort of both. They look like the cone barrel but are actually straight barrel with comp/cone screwed on. So you need a cone barrel slide.

Does anyone know if the slide would need to have the ejection port opened up? The difference in the two cartridges is only ~1/8", but since I have never done this, it is the only question I am still a bit unsure of. Being able to reuse .40 brass would be nice since the brass availability that seems to be a crippling aspect of 10mm. Also, any thoughts of what would be an average going rate for a gunsmith to do this? If it is just opening up the chamber, I can do it myself. I have a small mill and lathe and am comfortable with that process. I just wouldn't be as comfortable on the slide/ejection system.

Your 40 GT is a large framed pistol which means the ejection port is the same size for all calibers (9, 40, 38, 10, 45). Literally all you have to do is get 10mm mags and cut the chamber for the extra brass, but JMB is right that you can load nearly all the same loads with 40 brass and not worry about the chamber. The only issue I can imagine is if you want to load really long with a short bullet like 135gr.

^^^^^^ Obviously a "10mm guy" ;)

You have a point. 10 mm not a race gun caliber.

It's a really flexible caliber it's fun to shoot but it just doesn't fit the cheap brass category.

My 10 mm Limited is the most accurate gun I own. And I have 40 upper, and 9 mm upper for the same frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I fail to see the attraction. Reaming the chamber just means more exxy brass for basically the same loads. You can run some really stout "10mm" loads with the 40 as it is. :) a lot cheaper to feed.

+1. The cases have the same amount of room for powder when the bullet is seated to the same overall cartridge length. And if you cut both cases in half lengthwise they're the same thickness in the case head area, so presumably the same case strength ( haven't had any problems anyway).

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I'm loading to 1.25" OAL. That's roughly 10mm cartridge length, I just don't have as much case supporting the bullet, but it seems to be enough. The 10mm case may be more accurate though if the extra case length aligns the bullet better with the barrel, I don't know, because I haven't compared them.

Edited by jmbaccolyte