Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SBD Caliber Conversion

Just bought a used SBD that came equipped with 40, 9, and 38 dies. I am looking to buy a 45 acp caliber conversion kit and since I plan to use LPP brass, I see I will also need a large pistol primer tube. What other parts will I need to change to load LPP calibers?

Just bought a used SBD that came equipped with 40, 9, and 38 dies. I am looking to buy a 45 acp caliber conversion kit and since I plan to use LPP brass, I see I will also need a large pistol primer tube. What other parts will I need to change to load LPP calibers?

I would start your search here http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.sqdeal.html

Thanks icestud, I have looked there and in my manual as well as the Dillon website and don't see anything specific to a primer conversion kit or specific parts list. I do see a number of parts listed as small and large on my schematic and assume they may need to be changed but just wanted to confirm.

Rain

I would buy small primer 45 ACP brass so I did not have to change the priming system over. I have a SDB in 45 set up for large primer and I hate it when the smapp primer brass gets mixed in.

In addition to the Large Primer Magazine Assembly 22031 $8.50, need to add the Complete Primer Slide Assembly, Large 20124 $21.75 (or at minimum just the Large Primer Cup 13621 $4.05).

Don't forget large primer pickup tubes: Large Primer Pickup Tube Assembly 22029 $7.99

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/SDB_Pg_4.pdf

Edited by IronicTwitch

Unless space was a restriction, I would highly suggest getting a second press. Switching the primer system from small to large and vice versa, is a hassle. The cost of the conversion shouldn't be that much cheaper than buying another press.

Edited by himurax13

Thanks, actually space is a restriction but not on my bench, the space in my wallet is too small to get another press. I am on the lookout for a 45 conversion kit and the few extras and thats the budget limit for a while. Thanks for the input.

Ideally a second press set up for large primers. With most of us that is not an option. For many years I had a complete primer set up for large and small primers. This makes the change a breeze.

Brian or Dillon can coach you on what you will need.

Paul James

eboadway, yes, if you are referring to the 13967 primer punch large, I did find it in the parts bin from the prior owner. I wish I could go with another progressive press for large primer, but can't do it at this point and not even sure I would go with SBD although it's a great press. The next progressive I acquire may have the capability to load both rifle and pistol. Thanks, I am getting there slowly but surely.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a small primer brass for 45 , that's what I'm doing.

Thats what I did even though I have a comple primer housing & slide for large primers. I've been finding SP 45acp once fired brass from indoor ranges for $40 per 1K on ocassion. Plus small pistol primers are a couple bucks cheaper per K.

Thanks, actually space is a restriction but not on my bench, the space in my wallet is too small to get another press. I am on the lookout for a 45 conversion kit and the few extras and thats the budget limit for a while. Thanks for the input.

Back in the day when I was rocking a Square Deal for 9 & 40, I was able to buy one a used one set up in 45 for $275 in Commiefornia. Buying the dyes, toolhead, powder thrower, shell plate, large primer system, etc. was close to that if not more.

Edited by himurax13