Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My options for building a Compitition Gun in PRK

mellow

Looking through the list of approved handguns on the california doj list, it seems that my options are slim.

Do I have to purchase a handgun that's on that list, go through all the DROS paperwork, then have it customized? I was looking through the dawson precision sight and their set-ups look sweet. Since some of their handguns are built on a Para Platform, couldn't I get one of those? According to the DOJ sight, most of the Paras are approved.

I would also like the STI frames as an option, but it seems they have suspended their sales to california.

I was also looking through the SVI sight. On the DOJ sight, it seems the competition frames are approved. Does this mean I can basically build whatever I want on one of those frames?

Basically, I want something built on a Para, STI, Or SVI frame, but don't want to have to go through buying the gun, then having it stripped, then customized.

If anyone could tell me my options, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you've got a good amount of cash burning a hole in your pocket, you could get SVI to build you a gun from the ground up. The two that I've gotten quoted were in the $2100 to $2500 range for .40 here in PRK. Check out http://www.gunbuilder.com to see what you can come up with.

Until I hit the lotto, however, I'm thinking about having Dawson build me a P16-40 as you suggested based on both the "safeness" of the gun in the state of CA and the cost.

I would have considered an STI, but am a little peeved that they decided to bow to the idiots in office in CA. STI's are still considered safe in CA until 12/2003 (at which time they become WOMD), but I guess that that's moot until STI decides to grow some.... I'd probably buy an STI were I to move out of CA, though.

If you've got your heart set on a hi-cap Limited gun in CA, you're pretty much stuck with the Para or SVI.

(Edited by 300lbGorilla at 1:49 am on Jan. 21, 2003)

I've been through this crap reciently. Lets break down your options.

IF you want to buy a new gun in california it must be on the DOJ aproved list. You can do whatever you want with it after that.

You CAN'T purchase a new frame in california from any manufacuter.

USED guns do not have to be on the list but the must be registered in the state to private party transfer

Options:

1.  private party transefer a NIB frame from some one who is willing to give it up that lives in the state.

2. Private party transfer a used race gun from some one that lives in the state.  I've seen plenty on nice limited guns for sale in california. open guns are bit harder to come by.

3. Buy a new Para p16 limited.  have a gunsmith touch it up.

4. buy the SV gun that is aproved and have a new top end built for it.  The SV is only avalible in .45 in california.  

5. buy a glock 35 and try and find hi caps

6. move out of state

Options 3 and 4 are your best bet.  If your just starting out I would recomend the para p16 limited because its less expensive and basically ready to go. all you would need to buy is a magwell. If money is no object I would go with the SV and you can have what ever options you want built on your new top end.  

I was lucky enough to get a CA Edge when they first came out and just PPT an very nice used open gun.

good luck...

Dunno if this is an option but you coud go get the Dawson-Jarrett Para 16-40 from Dawson Precision.  This is a standard 16-40 (or 14-45, either way) that they have run through and done some tweaking and tuning on, added a mag well, changed front site, etc.  I just ordered one and am doing the "sitting on the edge of the chair" thing now.

If you can't purchase from Dawson's you might talk to them about what they would charge to take a Para that you supply and do the same treatment to it.

Hope that helps.

Personally, I would utilize option #6 that TOE posted above...but that is just my opinion.  

Cheers!

Kevin

(Edited by kimel at 11:32 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

Mellow,

TheOtherErik is correct. I too live in CA and did the xact same route as he did, STI CA Edge new and open via private party transfer (PPT).

I happened to find the STI open gun from someone at a match just by letting it be known I was looking for one. Be preparred to pay top dollar.  That said, it should still be less than the conversion of a 45 from SV.

Find a good gunsmith in your area that works on IPSC pistols and let them know you are looking for a PPT. They tend to know who has these "extra" frames and guns.  Good Luck.

(Edited by warpspeed at 11:13 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

it wouldent be that much to fix up the SV all you would need is a new barrel and breach face and to have them fitted if you wanted to go the limited routed.

The gun smith issue is a problem at least for northern california. Nobody I know of specializes in IPSC guns. Any major work would have to be sent out.

I think Mellow's best bet is to go with the Para  or look for a good used gun.  He would be shooting sooner.

I think he can go the Dawson route as long as the frame that the gun was built on was on the drop test list. I'd check with the CA DOJ or you local gun shop that knows the laws.

TOE,

I forgot about that removable breechface slide that SV makes. That would make it real easy .

In that case, as long as you do not mind the Stainless frame, I would say that is your best bet.  Much better than the Para route I think unless $ is an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my Dawson-Jarrett on Saturday and have about 500 rounds through it so far....and I LOVE IT!  Zero malfunctions so far.  Wife probably thinks I have a new girlfriend or something as I spent a lot of the weekend at the range.  

I did have them do the trigger job ($85 I think) and I also had them replace the factory steel trigger with a better one.  Well worth it.  Trigger pull is now very nice...beats the heck out of the stock para trigger pull.

I also upgraded to the ICE magwell.  That thing is huge.  Only tried to load my finger and the mag at the same time once...that was enough.  The nail isnt totally blue...yet.  

The only thing I wish I would have had them do was checker the front strap.  I really wish I had done this.  But, a bit of skateboard tape is cheaper anyway and that is the route I will be going.

Cheers!

Kevin

(Edited by kimel at 1:39 pm on Jan. 21, 2003)